[Event][Imperium 1st Summer Dice Duel Tournament 2009]

Site-related announcements and stuff.
Soluna

[Event][Imperium 1st Summer Dice Duel Tournament 2009]

Post by Soluna »

Imperium 1st Summer Dice Duel Tournament 2009 (Finalized Rules 6/14/2009)
Grab your lucky dice and get ready to duel for the first time in the Dice Duel Tournament, where the lucky of the roll matters more than your own strength!
If you have any question after reading it, ask it in the thread and I will answer it.

*The Torunament Result*

Dates and Times:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Registrations Time Frame:
6/09/2009-6/19/2009 11:59 PM PST

Actual Event Date:
6/20/2009, 1:30 PM PST Meet Up, 3:00PM PST Tournament Begins (May be Scheduled to Change*)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dunbarton Channel 4 Town Square

What to Bring and How To Apply:
Only thing you are required to have is Dice (Bought From General Shops).
To apply for the tournament simply make a post in the thread saying you are interested or send a note to Solar in the game.
Although it is an event decided to be opened to guild only, we have changed to public now so people are welcome to invite friends who might be interested. Be sure to inform them about the rules/date/location and any other miscellaneous details.

Rules:
*No Transformation Skills Allowed*
1. The two players will then each cast a die to see who go first. The player with the higher number will go first.
2. The players will take turns guessing whether their dice roll will be bigger or smaller than the opponent's roll before rolling. After the player have guessed by yelling it, both players will roll the dice. If the player guessed correctly, he gets to hit the opponent once and the other way around if he guessed incorrectly. The strike will be done through PVP, and the damage ratio will be determined by the game host's dice roll at the beginning. 1,2 means 20%, 3,4,5 means 40%, and 6 means 100%.
3. In a rare occurrence a tie may occur where both player roll the same number, thus in addition to guess big or small, the player can also guess a tie. If a player guessed a tie correctly, he gets to strike 5 times instead of once and the opponent gets to hit 1 times if the guess is incorrect. However, if the player guessed big or small but a tie occurs, he simply lose his turn to the other player to guess and no strikes will be permitted.
4. During the tournament no recovery skills/items are allowed, no weapon is allowed either (bare hand only). If you are to receive the hit you are not permitted to retaliate using Defense, Counter, Windmill, etc or any other skills in any form. Also shields are not allowed to be equipped when you are to be attacked, heal cannot be cast as well O_O. Passive Defense Armors are not allowed.
5. The only skills allowed for hitting opponents are: Normal 3-hits or 4 if you do N+1, Smash, Windmill, Counter.*Note in the case of counter, the winner gets to use counter on the loser and the only form of attack allowed is normal attack (1 hit only)*
6. You may use two different attack if you have guessed tie correctly, i.e. Smash then Windmill.
7. The winner of the match goes on to the next round and is allowed to heal before next match, the tournament will be held as a 2 out of best 3 matches elimination and the finals will be 3 out of 5 matches elimination.
8. The tournament match up will be drawing tickets at the event day.
9. Failure to follow the rules will end in cancellation of participation prize and disqualification to compete any further.

Prizes:
1. 1st Place Champion: 30k Gold, Holy Water x10, Basic Dye Amp x1, 100 Potion x10 of choice, Full Potion x2
2. 2nd Place Runner Up: 20k Gold, Holy Water x10, Basic Dye Amp x1, 100 Potion x10 of choice
3. 3rd Place Runner Up: 10k Gold, Holy Water x10, Basic Dye Amp x1
4. Participation Prizes: Holy Water x5, Corn Tea x1
*Prize will be mailed in the following week after the event: Play for Fun not for Prize!
ferghus
Site Admin
Site Admin
IGN(s): Yoorah
Server: Ruairi, Mari

Re: Imperium 1st Summer Dice Duel Tournament 2009

Post by ferghus »

zomg, a tournament! I'm in. :D
Patchy

Post by Patchy »

Oh noes, my Smash and Combat Mastery ranks are low!

Also, I have a few questions, after examining the rules for loopholes and whatnot.
Soluna wrote:Rules:
1. At beginning of each game, the tournament host will cast a die to decide the PVP damage ratio. 1,2 means 10%, 3,4 means 30%, 5,6 means 100%.
2. The two players will then each cast a die to see who go first. The player with the higher number will go first.
3. The players will take turns guessing whether their dice roll will be bigger or smaller than the opponent's roll before rolling. After the player have guessed by yelling it, both players will roll the dice. If the player guessed correctly, he gets to hit the opponent once and the other way around if he guessed incorrectly.
4. In a rare occurrence a tie may occur where both player roll the same number, thus in addition to guess big or small, the player can also guess a tie. If a player guessed a tie correctly, he gets to strike twice instead of once and the other way around if is incorrect. However, if the player guessed big or small but a tie occurs, he simply lose his turn to the other player to guess and no strikes will be permitted.
5. During the tournament no recovery skills/items are allowed, no weapon is allowed either. If you are to receive the hit you are not permitted to retaliate using Defense, Counter, Windmill etc or any other skills in any form.
6. The only skills allowed for hitting opponents are: Normal 3-hits or 4 if you do N+1, Smash, Windmill.
7. You may use two different attack if you have guessed tie correctly, i.e. Smash then Windmill.
8. The winner of the match goes on to the next round and is allowed to heal before next match.
9. The tournament match up will be drawing tickets at the event day.
10. Failure to follow the rules will end in cancellation of participation prize and disqualification to compete any further.
Q1: Does this mean a N (or N+1) hit normal combo counts as attacking "once"?

Q2: It is not prohibited explicitly, so, are we allow to chug a recovery booster before the match?

Q3: Does "No weapon" mean we have to play barehanded? Or can we equip some non-weapon things that can be used as weapons?

Also, a suggestion: Since we are allowed to invite friends, this event is not strictly guild-only. So, can we move this thread to a public section on the forum so we can directly show this page to friends?
Patchy

Post by Patchy »

Another thing: currently, the risk/reward parameters for in case a player guesses "tie" is set up such that it's a sucker's bet. I'll explain with a game matrix of the current game parameters, defined from player A's perspective, defined such that A's goal is to maximize his or her profit:

If player A chooses "big", then A's expected payoff = 0
If player A chooses "small", then A's expected payoff = 0
If player A chooses "tie", then A's expected payoff = - 2(15/36) +2(6/36) - 2(15/36) = -4/3

In layman's terms, it means you should not choose "tie", because "big" or "small" is just plainly a better choice to maximize your payoff.

To balance the game, i.e. to make it so that if player A chooses "tie", A's expected payoff = 0, so that people will actually be willing to choose "tie", we can change the rules such that

If player A chooses "tie" and A > B, then B hits A once (-1).
If player A chooses "tie" and A = B, then A hits B FIVE TIMES (+5). (Instant game-ender? Hooray!)
If player A chooses "tie" and A < B, then B hits A once (-1).
Soluna

Post by Soluna »

Patchy wrote:Oh noes, my Smash and Combat Mastery ranks are low!

Also, I have a few questions, after examining the rules for loopholes and whatnot.
Soluna wrote:Rules:
1. At beginning of each game, the tournament host will cast a die to decide the PVP damage ratio. 1,2 means 10%, 3,4 means 30%, 5,6 means 100%.
2. The two players will then each cast a die to see who go first. The player with the higher number will go first.
3. The players will take turns guessing whether their dice roll will be bigger or smaller than the opponent's roll before rolling. After the player have guessed by yelling it, both players will roll the dice. If the player guessed correctly, he gets to hit the opponent once and the other way around if he guessed incorrectly.
4. In a rare occurrence a tie may occur where both player roll the same number, thus in addition to guess big or small, the player can also guess a tie. If a player guessed a tie correctly, he gets to strike twice instead of once and the other way around if is incorrect. However, if the player guessed big or small but a tie occurs, he simply lose his turn to the other player to guess and no strikes will be permitted.
5. During the tournament no recovery skills/items are allowed, no weapon is allowed either. If you are to receive the hit you are not permitted to retaliate using Defense, Counter, Windmill etc or any other skills in any form.
6. The only skills allowed for hitting opponents are: Normal 3-hits or 4 if you do N+1, Smash, Windmill.
7. You may use two different attack if you have guessed tie correctly, i.e. Smash then Windmill.
8. The winner of the match goes on to the next round and is allowed to heal before next match.
9. The tournament match up will be drawing tickets at the event day.
10. Failure to follow the rules will end in cancellation of participation prize and disqualification to compete any further.
Q1: Does this mean a N (or N+1) hit normal combo counts as attacking "once"?

Q2: It is not prohibited explicitly, so, are we allow to chug a recovery booster before the match?

Q3: Does "No weapon" mean we have to play barehanded? Or can we equip some non-weapon things that can be used as weapons?

Also, a suggestion: Since we are allowed to invite friends, this event is not strictly guild-only. So, can we move this thread to a public section on the forum so we can directly show this page to friends?
Q1: Yes it count as "once", this is for people with low smash/cm. I know this might sound disadvantageous to magic build/archer build people but I thought about it and think is not that great if I allow magic and someone uses a thunder and 1 hit K.O. everyone OTL. I could say bolt magic only, but then do ice bolts get 5 hits? What about fire bolt :\? Perhaps in the future I will come up a new rule for it that decide the form of attack, but as for now yes melee only.

Q2: =w= no although there is no 100% way of me saying sure you didn't do it.

Q3: *After talking to some people it is decided now it will bare hand only*

Suggestion: yes it would be nice if there's a public event board, but I want the guild member to participate mostly and this is the only event board.

As for tie being the sucker bet, I actually didn't take too much account into that.
*Thanks for pointing that out.

**Rules on striking have change now to each strike will be determined by game host's roll each time to give less melee oriented character a better chance?
TaoSekai

Post by TaoSekai »

I'm definitely in, but I got a question about something. It says if you guess a tie correctly, you can hit the opponent 5 times, right? Also, it says when someone wants to hit the other, then they can do 3-hit combo, smash, or windmill. Does that mean if you guess a tie correctly, you can perform a 3-hit combo 5 times? Or use a smash 5 times? How will the 5-hit combo work?
Soluna

Post by Soluna »

Megamanx4848 wrote:I'm definitely in, but I got a question about something. It says if you guess a tie correctly, you can hit the opponent 5 times, right? Also, it says when someone wants to hit the other, then they can do 3-hit combo, smash, or windmill. Does that mean if you guess a tie correctly, you can perform a 3-hit combo 5 times? Or use a smash 5 times? How will the 5-hit combo work?
That is correct, you can do a 3-hit combo 5 times. the 3 options are smash, 3-hit combo, and windmill, each counting as 1 hit. So if you guess a tie correctly, you get to hit the player 5 times mixing any of those 3 attacks, i.e. 3 smashes with 2 windmills, 5 smashes, 4 3/4-hit combo with 1 smash.

Guessing tie is to be given as a move for finisher move?! However, do realize the damage strikes you make will still be determine by the game host's dice roll each time so even if you guess it correctly this wont be much of a "finishing move" if the ratio is fixed at 10% for all hits, but if it fixed at 100% the game will pretty much be finished.
*Also to clarify, one roll of the game host's roll of dice will be determined for all 5 hits, not separately*
Aegis

Post by Aegis »

Sigea joining
Myeu

Re: [Event][Imperium 1st Summer Dice Duel Tournament 2009]

Post by Myeu »

me!
I'll probably die in one hit xD :roll:
Beepuke

Re: [Event][Imperium 1st Summer Dice Duel Tournament 2009]

Post by Beepuke »

No can do, I'm going to be out. Have fun guys!