Site-related announcements and stuff.
ferghus
Site Admin
Site Admin
IGN(s): Yoorah
Server: Ruairi, Mari

[Nexon] Password Update Campaign

Post by ferghus »

Nexon wrote:As part of our ongoing efforts to improve player security, players who have not updated their password recently will be asked to change their password when logging into any Nexon.net website, including the websites for Combat Arms, Dungeon Fighter Online, iTCG Online, Mabinogi, MapleStory, and PopTag!. This is one part of our effort to promote security for all Internet users. Going forward we will introduce additional security features as a part of this continuing program.

Thank you for your continued support, and we encourage players to update passwords at least once every three months to combat against keylogging and phishing exploits.

The Nexon Team

Password Update FAQ

1. I'm getting an error and the game is not allowing me to log in. What do I do?
If you see any of the following errors, the most likely explanation is that you are not logged in to the Website. Please exit the game, log in to the Website and follow the instructions to change your password.

2. Why do we have to change our password?
As part of our ongoing web initiatives, we are implementing new web upgrades for account safety. This Password Update will enable players to change their password on a regular basis.

3. Why should we change our password every 3-months?
Updating your password frequently increases account safety by keeping your password unpredictable. Hackers use a variety of techniques to hack into accounts. Three of the most common are “keylogging,” “phishing“ and “social engineering.”
Keyloggers are hidden programs downloaded onto your computer. Phishing is a technique in which a hacker sends an official looking e-mail or sets up an official looking site that encourages the player to log in in order to steal their account information. Social engineering means that hackers try many of the most common words and phrases people use as passwords. Changing your password on a regular basis keeps it from becoming predictable and helps increase safety.

4. Is this process mandatory?
Yes. Nexon takes your account safety extremely seriously and this is part of a constant effort to keep your information safe.

5. How does it work?
Once this protocol goes into effect, the following things will happen:
- The next time you log into a Nexon game, you will be asked to change your password. The new password cannot be the same as/contain your current password.
- Three months after you change your password, you will be asked to change your password again when you log into a Nexon game. This new password cannot be the same as/contain the password you were using for the last three months.
- All players will be reminded to change their password every three calendar months

6. What happens if I forget the new password I set?
You can have your Login ID sent to your registered email address by following these steps on our official website:
- Go to the Find Nexon Password page.
- After you enter the required information, your password will be sent to your registered email address.

7. I don’t have access to my registered email and/or I don’t remember it.
If you no longer have access to your registered email address due to a lost or forgotten password, or have closed the email account, please try to regain access to that email. Many email providers have ways to recover email accounts.
If you no longer have access to the registered email address because you have changed email providers by changing your ISP, you will need to submit a ticket to Nexon Support requesting an email change. Be sure to specify that this is the reason for the email change.
Source: http://maplestory.nexon.net/WZ.ASPX?PAR ... ntNo=006EH
Note that while this came from their MapleStory site, they state that this will affect all their games, Mabinogi included. Mabinogi's website is currently unreachable.

Long story short, you'll be required to change your pass every 3 months. This is no doubt due to the database leak that has been happening. I just hope that they have fixed the holes on their end, instead of relying entirely on this new account policy.
Armelle

Re: [Nexon] Password Update Campaign

Post by Armelle »

ugh...its everykoreangameiveeverplayed all over again,just without the magical security numbers
Achiel

Post by Achiel »

It's more Nexon is just covering their own ass for their DB leak. Like usual.
ferghus
Site Admin
Site Admin
IGN(s): Yoorah
Server: Ruairi, Mari

Post by ferghus »

I'm not so sure about that. The DB "leak" occured because their site was (and still might be) vulnerable to SQL injection in the first place. If they were just covering their own ass with this, without fixing the vulnerability, and an attack would happen again, Nexon be in a harder position to defend themselves with a claim that it was the users' fault.

I think the intentions here are sincere. This might also help them with investigation, if they haven't fixed the hole yet.