[Guide] How to calculate Character Window damage

Share and study Mabinogi knowledge in the form of guides, advice, etc.
Soluna

[Guide] How to calculate Character Window damage

Post by Soluna »

So... Some people don't know how to calculate the character window damage but wants to know how to do it =3=...
Therefore I am writing this so people properly calculate the correct number displayed on the character window.

And... this will be mostly dealing with melee. Magic and Alchemists can leave now at the exit to the left now.

Now let's begin:
First of all, the most important thing is to know what affects the damage of the particular weapon you are using:
Sword, Axe, Blunt, uses Str.
Knuckle uses Will.
Bow, Crossbow uses Dex.
Marionette Handle uses Strength and Dex.

Next, is important to note the difference between "True" Bared hand damage and Bare hand damage:
Bare hand damage is when you are not equipping anything.
"True" Bare hand damage is when you equip a 0~0 damage item like Water Bottle or Magic Powder.
There's this difference because the game had "Bare Fist" as a weapon and give damage boosting effects.
both "True" Bare hand and Bare hand damage are based on Str, this is important to remember! It will come back and bite you if you forget this.

Last but not the least, it important to know that 10 of the character's base stat is not accounted for damage, this is because they are the base stats given when you first create you character.
This is true for all stats except INT affecting Magic attack.
ImageImage
Both show stats of bare hand state, human have bard destiny so it gains 10 base str stats making it 20 and note the +4 dmg change. Also note the 4 dex increased 1 balance on elf's stat.

Once we keep those in mind, it is easy to do the calculations.

Now let's do some calculations starting with the close melee with 1 hand swords:
When using sword weapon, we need to factoring Strength Stat, Sword Mastery, Combat Mastery, the Weapon itself, and the Enhancement from other Gear.
One Hand Weapon (2.5 str is 1 max):
392 Str - 10 = 381 Str = 381/2.5 = 152.4 dmg
Rank 1 sword mastery = 20 dmg
Rank 1 combat mastery = 18 dmg
Green Beam Sword = 140 dmg
Total Damage = 152.4 + 20 + 18 + 140 = 330.4 dmg ~= 331 dmg error margin being 0.6
Formula: (Str+ Str enchant)/2.5 + sword mastery + combat mastery + weapon damage + enchant damage.

Next we are going to do dual wielding calculations, which has always been a headache/mystery to people.
Dual Wielding Weapons:
392 Str - 10 = 381 Str = 381/2.5 = 152.4 dmg
Green Beam Sword = 140 dmg
Blue Beam Sword = 120 dmg
Total Damage = 152.4 + (140 + 120)/2 + 20 + 20 + 18 = 340.4 dmg ~= 341 dmg error margin being 0.6
Formula: (Str+ Str enchant)/2.5 + sword mastery for 1st sword + sword mastery for 2nd sword + combat mastery + (weapon 1 damage + weapon 2 damage)/2 + enchant damage.

Finally we are going to do dual wield with Str bonus mixed with Dmg bonus to see if the above formula is correct:
521 Str - 10 = 511 Str = 204.4 dmg
Goddess Caliburn Battle Sword = 57 dmg + 8 dmg + 10 dmg = 75 dmg
Goddess Battle Sword = 57 dmg + 8 dmg = 65 dmg
Total Damage = 204.4 + (75 + 65)/2 + 20 + 20 +18 = 332.4 dmg ~= 332 dmg error margin being 0.4

Before we leave for the knuckle, one important thing to note from the last example is that only the +damage bonus on the weapons are divided by 2. Damage bonus from helm, acc., armor etc... are not subject to be divided by 2.

Next up, we have the knuckles. These are a little bit tricky... the only reason they are tricky is because you cannot use "True" Bare hand or Bare hand damage to compare the increment because one is based on Str and the other is based on will. This may seem obvious but many people have simple looked at their bare hand damage then equip the knuckle and check if the damage difference is right. Don't do that because the 2 system use different stats.

Here is the calculation for Knuckles (3 will is 1 max):
450 will - 10 = 440/3 = 146.66 dmg
Rank 1 knuckle mastery = 20 dmg
Bear Knuckle = 51 dmg
Total Damage = 146.66 + 20 +18 + 51 = 235.66 dmg ~= 235 dmg error margin being 0.66
Formula: (Will+ Will enchant)/3 + knuckle mastery + combat mastery + weapon damage + enchant damage.

I am not going to do the bow but it is the same idea as the one hand sword except you switch the Str to Dex and sword mastery to bow/cross bow mastery.

Hopefully this will make those who want to calculate their stats know how to do it now.
ferghus
Site Admin
Site Admin
IGN(s): Yoorah
Server: Ruairi, Mari

Re: [Guide] How to calculate Character Window damage

Post by ferghus »

Soluna wrote:Before we leave for the knuckle, one important thing to note from the last example is that only the +damage bonus on the weapons are divided by 2. Damage bonus from helm, acc., armor etc... are not subject to be divided by 2.
I think a good way to explain and remember this for the readers is to think of it as dual wield damage being based on the average damage of your two weapons. [s]It's also interesting how this means that the damage advantage in dual wielding swords actually comes from doubling the sword mastery damage bonus, and not from the second blade itself, contrary to what I think is what most people would assume. Equipping that gathering knife won't help boost your damage if you've already got a beam sword, it would seem![/s]

Oh, and I think you made a typo with the knuckle damage formula also using weapon averaged damage with that /2.

I wonder how we can get rid of the errors, though. I remember we found the proper floor/ceiling rules when deriving the accurate Flame Burst damage formula. D:
radionoise

Post by radionoise »

Yoorah wrote:the damage advantage in dual wielding swords actually comes from doubling the sword mastery damage bonus, and not from the second blade itself
I don't think you understood that correctly (or I did not interpret this part of your post correctly). Soluna's post shows us how to calculate character window damage, not true damage (in case of dual-wield). In actual skill usage, independent of what character screen shows... the blades are actually added and not averaged, so the advantage from dual-wielding is indeed mostly from the second blade itself.
ferghus
Site Admin
Site Admin
IGN(s): Yoorah
Server: Ruairi, Mari

Post by ferghus »

Oh, my bad! I've never looked into the melee side of the game, so. ;_; Thanks for the correction! I do wonder how the character window damage affects actual damage output, then.
Sky

Post by Sky »

Yoorah wrote:Oh, my bad! I've never looked into the melee side of the game, so. ;_; Thanks for the correction! I do wonder how the character window damage affects actual damage output, then.
You lazy slow mage
Last edited by Sky on Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
radionoise

Post by radionoise »

Yoorah wrote:Oh, my bad! I've never looked into the melee side of the game, so. ;_; Thanks for the correction! I do wonder how the character window damage affects actual damage output, then.
For other types of combat or single-wield/2h, character screen damage is accurate representation of damage you can deal (outside reforges, skill multipliers, etc).

It's only dual-wield in particular, where there is an inconsistency between the damage shown in character screen (weapon 1 + weapon 2 / 2) and the true damage you will deal with skills such as smash/wm (weapon 1 + weapon 2). There is also yet another damage type with dual-wield, which is your single-handed damage with each sword/blunt when you are using normal attacks. Character screen is fairly deceptive when it comes to dual-wield, and when it comes to skills you are usually much stronger than what it says.
Soluna

Post by Soluna »

Yoorah wrote: Oh, and I think you made a typo with the knuckle damage formula also using weapon averaged damage with that /2.
My bad. Fixed now.
Yoorah wrote: I wonder how we can get rid of the errors, though. I remember we found the proper floor/ceiling rules when deriving the accurate Flame Burst damage formula. D:
hmm... is a little bit different for this because it can very well be round up when certain condition occur, round down when certain condition occur, etc... but in general I am fine with the error margin being at most 1.
And yes, this is just for people to calculate the damage appear in the window. In terms of correct damage, only dual wield doesn't follow the character window and is a different story to calculate that. But... in general same rule apply which is in terms of normal attack the Str bonus on all gear will stack up, the damage bonus on each weapon will only apply when you use that particular weapon, and when using skills to use both weapon, both weapons' effects will apply.

O... and you can't dual wield Gathering Knife ="=.
hen937

Post by hen937 »

dam that is a lot of power