[Guide] Mabinogi Tank Posible? =o

Share and study Mabinogi knowledge in the form of guides, advice, etc.
Sky

Re: Mabinogi Tank Posible? =o

Post by Sky »

radionoise wrote: Glove - 5% at r1 (but really, not getting MS reduction here?)
Why not both?
radionoise

Post by radionoise »

Sky wrote:
radionoise wrote: Glove - 5% at r1 (but really, not getting MS reduction here?)
Why not both?
Getting one specific effect you desire to max lv is already couple hundred bucks, getting two is private server/dupenogi/lottery winner tier.
Soluna

Post by Soluna »

Sky wrote: Why not both?
Your Wallet is Not Big Enough... Wait.. What?
Deletion

Post by Deletion »

Soluna wrote:
Black Seasoning -> +5/2

39 + 25 + 5 +12 + 2 -> 81% protection

Nope... not over 100... but more than enough to use with 80% protection bonus from Transformation, you only need 55 to reach 99 protection anyway. Though... that's assuming the bonus accounts for enchanting bonuses...
The effect of black seasoning goes up if you share it.
I think I got 4 protection when I shared it with 4 people...
Soluna

Post by Soluna »

Philozoph wrote:+4% if it can go on Falias treasures (even less likely).
You cant use it on treasure.

And no, you can't reforge Protection Charm (I am not sure why people are obsessed with that item...)
Deletion wrote: The effect of black seasoning goes up if you share it.
I think I got 4 protection when I shared it with 4 people...
Yea... and you can actually get even more with Def/Pro Buff Potion, but the point is is not practical with the amount of efforts you'd have to put into it... well at least not in the aspect into using enchants like Golem which limits you to lvl 15 and below when the point is reduce damage so you can take on tougher enemies to level or using Holy effects from Holy Fire that reduce durability faster on items when in you are built to "take more hits" with the items. Because many things I have listed are already a pain to get and situational: Rank A+ Tailored cloth? Level 5 Protection Reforge? Perfect enchanted Reactive? Deep only active when barrier is set up? Etc... I mean id you can get it to 100% by all means do... and share how that work out, I am sure people would like to see, but I mean I don't have that kind of wealth nor patience for the build.

Personally, I think a balance of both is better. Defense is not as useless as people make it sounds, in the scenario of enemy doing 200 damage and you have 100 defense and 80% protection it is actually the defense reducing the majority of the damage. In most cases, you will be turning on mana shield in the tougher situations and that's not because you can't tank the damage but to prevent the wounds from injury. Last but not the least, it is not that tanks are not possible in the game but more that they are not efficient in terms of leveling... when tougher monsters doesn't necessarily yield better exp overall in the end or particular enemies have certain strategy allow you to avoid taking damage from monsters. Tanks are nice in party though, in the case of monster > players, it is nice to have a tank to draw out some of the aggro so the others can hold their own (Though that role's reduced with Rain Casting, but still nice to have). Is an okay concept guide, though a little more researches and details should be added to make it more complete.
DKnightOdin

Re: [Guide] Mabinogi Tank Posible? =o

Post by DKnightOdin »

Generally speaking Defense is better when taking low amts of damage whereas Protection is better for mitigating higher amts of dmg. Also, Protection will NEVER negate damage; that's to say it'll never drop it to 1 where as defense can and will provided you have enough of it. And for those who say that protection can, well you're right, but realistically it would be impossible seeing as you'd have to get 99-100% protection.
Kapra

Post by Kapra »

99 or less damage taken, Defense>Protection.
100 damage taken, Defense=Protection.
101 or more damage taken, Defense<Protection.

As I said, by the time you reach places where monsters do 100 damage on you without criticals, you should know how to defend yourself by then. Which is why protection matters more in places where you need it. But yes, 100.0% protection is near impossible to achieve but still possible. And even so, still better to have high protection even if it isn't 100.0%. (Inb4 a lot of people reach it then they cap it at 80.0%.)
DKnightOdin

Post by DKnightOdin »

I don't think it'll ever become so wide-spread that Nexon will need to cap it. Personally, I can't ever imagine myself reaching such high defense and protection without a serious amount of ingame currency and time; something less than 10% of the players of mabi have. Generally speaking, once you reach levels where 100+ dmg is a normal occurrence, you need to be less worried on getting more port and def and focus on learning how to not get hit; the investiture in time and money on former you'd see will be much greater than the latter.
Yuneiko

Post by Yuneiko »

if anything, when it comes to mmos, the thing most people seem to have more of is time rather than in game currency/real life currency....
Soluna

Post by Soluna »

Psy wrote:99 or less damage taken, Defense>Protection.
100 damage taken, Defense=Protection.
101 or more damage taken, Defense<Protection.
Defense reduction goes before protection, unless you specify the defence and protection those are false statements.
50 def 90% protection, on 100 dmg defence will reduce 50 dmg and protection will reduce 45 dmg, you can't generalize rules like that.
Psy wrote: As I said, by the time you reach places where monsters do 100 damage on you without criticals, you should know how to defend yourself by then. Which is why protection matters more in places where you need it.
is why defense matter more because in higher level you avoid getting hits such def/protection doesn't really matter and at area with monster having lower damage defence is better than protection.