Nexon kinda screwed up this patch

Debate the latest buzz in the world of Mabinogi!
ferghus
Site Admin
Site Admin
IGN(s): Yoorah
Server: Ruairi, Mari

Nexon kinda screwed up this patch

Post by ferghus »

The first thing they screwed up is the patcher process, to be exact: Simply put, they didn't upload the needed files to their patch server, causing the patcher to re-download the full client. This is why you will find the update taking a long time to complete--you're actually downloading about 2.5 GB worth of data for this "patch"! D:

The details of how this works aren't complicated. Basically, our client was at version 120 before this update. The current update is at version 126, however. In order to patch this efficiently, Nexon needs to upload the 120_to_126 patch file set to their server, but they haven't done so! For some strange reason (internal testing? I dunno), they uploaded the following patch file sets instead: 122_to_126, 123_to_126, 124_to_126 and 125_to_126. Because our last version is 120, this leaves our poor client patcher with no choice but to grab the 126_full file set, which is about 2.5 GB in total.

So as a friendly tip to Nexon guys who might be reading this: Unless you want everyone re-downloading 2.5 GB for this patch (or in later patches if they didn't get 126 yet?!), you may wanna add the missing patch file set 120_to_126 (or 120_to_127 if you're gonna do a quick hotfix for the translation issues). D: It must suck for someone who's installing a fresh client from your site; the download for the oudated 114R full installer is 2.7 GB, and then the player will have to sit through the 2.5 GB 126_full patch on top of that. :(

---

Other screwups are the translations and the interface/font size issues, but that's obvious and everyone already knows about it. :3 Loving the new interface (bugs aside), by the way! Good job on that. \o/ Korean actually displays properly now, and I think the chat window doesn't lag from the font anymore?

---

Nexon's quest translation guide (temporary): http://mabinogi.nexon.net/News/Announcements/1/00FPj
Since some quests and interface stuff is untranslated or screwed up, they put together a guide to help you out while they fix it.
Armelle

Re: Nexon kinda screwed up this patch

Post by Armelle »

better off than me,i somehow patched really early and the patcher errored out
had to redownload the game...and am now redownload it *again* through the patcher
lllorz

i heard theres no more shadow font though
or whatever you call that artifact plastered mess they were using before.
ferghus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ferghus »

It seems this patch brought some performance issues, actually. :( I tried to rotate my camera and walk around in Tir, noticed some brief frame skipping here and there. Normally, it would run totally smooth. I guess I should test something more demanding, like Tara, to see if there's a bigger difference. My computer is very powerful, and if I can notice these, it makes me wonder what those with less powerful systems will feel. o_o

EDIT: Taillteann and Tara are pretty smooth. Weird. I wonder why Tir had issues. Maybe because of the water? Hmm...
nandattebayo

Post by nandattebayo »

Yoorah wrote:It seems this patch brought some performance issues, actually. :( I tried to rotate my camera and walk around in Tir, noticed some brief frame skipping here and there. Normally, it would run totally smooth. I guess I should test something more demanding, like Tara, to see if there's a bigger difference. My computer is very powerful, and if I can notice these, it makes me wonder what those with less powerful systems will feel. o_o

EDIT: Taillteann and Tara are pretty smooth. Weird. I wonder why Tir had issues. Maybe because of the water? Hmm...
I hope they didn't bring back that "smart" movement system...
Armelle

Post by Armelle »

didnt they make the tir npcs fancier?
i doubt thats the issue.
Soluna

Post by Soluna »

\o/ at work and can't dl~ Hope it gets fixed when I am off work.

*back to lunch break.
Kapra

Post by Kapra »

Armelle wrote:didnt they make the tir npcs fancier?
i doubt thats the issue.
Na, that was a month ago.
Aegis

Post by Aegis »

Yoorah wrote:It seems this patch brought some performance issues, actually. :( I tried to rotate my camera and walk around in Tir, noticed some brief frame skipping here and there. Normally, it would run totally smooth. I guess I should test something more demanding, like Tara, to see if there's a bigger difference. My computer is very powerful, and if I can notice these, it makes me wonder what those with less powerful systems will feel. o_o

I'm getting the same frame rate skip. I think they screwed up something.
ferghus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ferghus »

For anyone still wondering about the patch process, it seems they've fixed things. 120_to_122 was uploaded. So the patcher should be able to grab and apply that, then apply 122_to_126 and all should be well! Except for the XML/translations issues, but I'm assuming that that will probably not be fixed until KR can give them the new files.