Regarding Gachapon

Debate the latest buzz in the world of Mabinogi!
Jerseyjesus

Regarding Gachapon

Post by Jerseyjesus »

I just wanted to know if there is anyone who hates gachapon and thinks it ruins the game as much as I do. My g2 days I lived in Albey red dungeon farming fomor scrolls to make gold. Now you need to either abuse hacks (if you know how to) or throw your life savings into NX for gacha in order to make some decant profit. It seems whatever I do to try to make money, it fails. For example, I got tailoring high ranked, not only for the dex, but for profit too. But now the rare items that needed to be made via tailoring are now in the gacha, decreasing their value to nothing. And before that I got potion making and herbalism to rank 1 and made profit off that for the time being. But then, Nexon releases a potion fishing event. -______________-

What do you guys think about this?
Armelle

Re: Regarding Gachapon

Post by Armelle »

i agree entirely on the tailoring thing.
cosmetics = money. they will never allow otherwise and if they do it wont be anything like npc clothing. (even idle-less versions would be nice)
it cant be helped though, this kinda shit is standard even in some pay to play games now. (heck, mabi may as well have been on kr for the longest time)
i don't think it ruins the game though,maybe the games already shitty economy but not the game.
Jerseyjesus

Post by Jerseyjesus »

It's a great game. It's just the community in NA has gone down the crapper along with the economy. And it does kinda make me angry that they released NPC clothes into the game. I mean, some of them are nice to have. But its rediculous that copying an NPC's style is a "fad" now. It isn't even impressing to see someone get the latest NPC outfit from some stupid gachapon. Just shows how much creativity they actually have. http://puu.sh/1P5D7 This outfit is as old as dirt and I still fancy it. =P
somecoolguy

Post by somecoolguy »

I've always viewed mabi as that one game where everything will be easy as crap to get at some point in time. Back when Dustin armor was the best thing ever, people complained that DD dropped it and gave "end game blacksmith only" gear to lucky newbies. It didn't ruin anything back then when defense mattered, and I don't think someone getting a dexterity oblivion/fancy-whatever will ruin anything now. Sure, it sucks that you can't make millions off life skills that you slaved to raise, but times change. It's not nearly as hard to raise them now with doublerainbows and talents too, so with or without gachapon, you wouldn't be making as much as you'd like.

Personally, I don't see the problem with being poor compared to gachabuyers. It's not like mabinogi is one of those games where you gotta buy the new set of gear to not be useless. I have all the things I NEED to have, which isn't saying much. I maintain these things just fine with my almost stagnant gold income, and the only things I really buy are dyes and cheap forgotten clothings for cosplaying shenanigans. The market for fashionable items can inflate to high hell for all I care; I'm not one to stand around ch1 for hours waiting for my 392048mill clothing to lose durability, get fail-repaired, and deflate in price.

Alot of people say gacha and NX in general ruins the game by giving overpowered items and profit to people, but why does it matter so much? Everyone in a 100% duel would die to each other in one shot regardless, and doesn't it actually benefit everyone when we got op people running around blasting down the annoying dungeons for us? And if you abhor the current fashion trend, their profit shouldn't affect you either, because that's what they'd be spending their profit on.

On a side note, drawing for people on the Nexon forums gets you more gold than it should, and even sometimes NX. I can draw some crappy sketches and bam 300k.
Sky

Post by Sky »

I don't see gachapon ruining things as so far, at least as far as my gameplay is concerned. They do make things easier to obtain, especially with those enchanted reforged equips. But if you've played mabi long enough, you know that sure they all look fancy and strong and stuff, but the difference enchants and stuffs make between two veteran players aren't actually a lot. So as far as the spectrum where dps is concerned, they aren't a big deal for me.

Now regarding fashion and gachapon... Fashion is purely aesthetic and you don't have to go with whatever most people go for(like NPC stuff) to make yourself look pleasing. True, they make some high ranked outfits easier to obtain but I think that's fine because they aren't really game breaking at all. Plus, since Mabinogi's source of money revolves around "making players inconvenient so they pay to have easier time", I'm fine with them selling the tailor stuff from gachapon - where people pay $ to have less inconvenience on getting their dream clothes. Again though, going back to aesthetics, the reason NPC clothes are more expensive is due to that more people are attracted to them rather than old school clothes.

Oh, and perception of "expensive" vs "cheap" changed over time too.. Those old high ranked clothes I think stays at the same price as what we have right now, but I consider them "cheap" now because of my perception of "expensive" and "cheap" changed over time.

I do see where you are coming from. A lot of the new stuff they implement: gacha, events, new content, etc, are making other features of the game obsolete. This is usually something inevitable to almost every on-going game I know. This is because people "evolve" along with the game, and their needs change and the game has to continuously adjust with it... So it usually ends up in both evolving and making other part of the game forgotten.
Jerseyjesus

Post by Jerseyjesus »

Eh, you have a point. I wouldn't know how other games operate. Seeing as this is the first online game I've ever played. (Funny story of how I came to mabi too) So I was a huge noob when I came to mabi. Took me till like after that old cotton candy sheep event to learn what an event was. x)
Mackinz

Post by Mackinz »

I think that Gacha haven't ruined the game, but have ruined Blacksmithing, Tailoring and other crafting skills. One of the things I'd wish would happen is the addition of an NPC who functions as a way to pawn off crafted goods for a good, usually much higher than market, price, increasing/decreasing with quality. That way, crafters can make more than just what is currently trending, and still be able to continue ranking their trade.
Jerseyjesus

Post by Jerseyjesus »

Mackinz wrote:I think that Gacha haven't ruined the game, but have ruined Blacksmithing, Tailoring and other crafting skills. One of the things I'd wish would happen is the addition of an NPC who functions as a way to pawn off crafted goods for a good, usually much higher than market, price, increasing/decreasing with quality. That way, crafters can make more than just what is currently trending, and still be able to continue ranking their trade.
That would be everyone's dream come true. But I seriously doubt Nexon would release that because the point is to get players to spend more money on the game. Doing that would only make the money they make decrease. Probably why I never got unbanned, because I barely bought NX.
Mackinz

Post by Mackinz »

Jerseyjesus wrote:That would be everyone's dream come true. But I seriously doubt Nexon would release that because the point is to get players to spend more money on the game. Doing that would only make the money they make decrease. Probably why I never got unbanned, because I barely bought NX.
Actually, I think it might have the opposite effect, and make gacha-only manuals more in demand as the number of crafters goes up.

The main purpose of the NPC is to make training much more bearable. It allows the crafters to actually make profit off of unpopular items, to pay for supplies. It's not going to make items, that are in-demand, less in-demand.