R upgrades and the monster protection buff

Debate the latest buzz in the world of Mabinogi!
Majimari

R upgrades and the monster protection buff

Post by Majimari »

I was just looking through the patch notes on the wiki and noticed that some monsters got their Protection buffed up.
Several monster's Defense, Protection, Magic Defense, and Magic Protection has been altered.
So I was just wondering. Is it still worth going for R upgrades on knuckles now that certain monsters have got more protection now?
Soluna

Re: R upgrades and the monster protection buff

Post by Soluna »

Majimari wrote:So I was just wondering. Is it still worth going for R upgrades on knuckles now that certain monsters have got more protection now?
Something to understand is that there is a Protection Value and a Damage Reduction Value now.

An example would be say 20 Protection => 22% Damage Reduction.

Prior to the update 20 Protection => 20% Damage Reduction.

Critical Rate now goes by the Damage Reduction Values now, and the formula is the same as before. So a Monster may have 250 Protection but that is only 50% Damage Reduction, which require you to have 130% Critical Hit to have 30% critical.
*Values used here are just examples.

In general, monsters in shadow missions should have gotten weaker excluding some of the "tougher" monsters.
Majimari

Re: R upgrades and the monster protection buff

Post by Majimari »

Ah, ok. I had read that the Critical Rate formula was still the same as before. So I had thought that meant if a monster had 100 protection that I would need 230% Critical Hit just to have a 30% chance to get a critical. But that seemed a little excessive so I was worried that R upgraded weapons might be worthless unless you could reach obscenely high critical chance. So I'm glad to hear that's not the case. Thanks for clearing up that misunderstanding.