Vindictus thread!

For general discussions related to Nexon's latest Mabinogi-themed offering: Vindictus!
youknowwhoiam

Re: New Vindictus skills

Post by youknowwhoiam »

and no food system, how enthralling

lol@you believing who you talked to was a devcat
Patchy

Post by Patchy »

youknowwhoiam wrote:and no food system, how enthralling
I bet nari wants those high-def super kick-ass graphics for beating the blood and guts out of those apples trees, followed by lengthy, gory, munchilicious cutscenes of digesting them bad apples. :>
youknowwhoiam

Post by youknowwhoiam »

well i mean
how is anyone supposed to be truly stronger than anyone else in the end without food? it's hard to find a drive to play a game very long if no matter what you do, you can only be as good as someone else can be. i need end game variation based on dedication, i need an uncompromised ability to run away with stats, i need REAL damage whoring in order for a game to have lasting appeal
Armelle

Post by Armelle »

you speak as if stats even matter
being balanced is actually a good thing,takes away e-peen and stuff from most factors,and leaves it down to skill
course,theres always e-peen even without stat whoring,but least you can say you lost out of skill more so than stats,eh
Patchy

Post by Patchy »

Off-topic. Please ignore this.
Armelle wrote:you speak as if stats even matter
being balanced is actually a good thing,takes away e-peen and stuff from most factors,and leaves it down to skill
course,theres always e-peen even without stat whoring,but least you can say you lost out of skill more so than stats,eh
All this talk about a MMO game being "skill"-based reminds me of Guild Wars, which be used in making my point: Skill (strategy and execution) has little to do with MMOs. In other words, PvP in MMOs is silly. Furthermore, talking about skill in MMOs is also very silly!

<rant>
Guild Wars does a pretty good job of balancing the game, such that every strategy can be countered in some way, and if something is too good it gets nerfed so people will have to look for other suboptimal tactics. However, even if the game itself is well-balanced, the actual gameplay is often one-sided, inevitable, mindless running whatever your build is designed to do. In a 1vs1 PvP situation, the outcome is often pre-determined just by looking at what skills are available on the hotkeys of the two parties. (e.g. You're a fire spells-only Elementalist? Enjoy my Mesmer's anti-casting domination spells which I happen to be running in this battle, and I just so happen to run into you! Yeah you're my bitch now!) Sure, there's always the human factor that you might or might not have the "skill" to execute your strategy properly, but we're talking about MMOs, so everything must be easy to do, and if you somehow discover an uber-tactic that works only in a very precise timing of 1/60 of a second, then it must a glitch and you'll be called a noob and banned for exploiting the game because that's how MMOs are played.
</rant>

If you want to talk about skill, play some chess or real-time strategy games or fighting games.
Last edited by Patchy on Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soluna

Post by Soluna »

Some of you guys are slightly off-topics...

Regardless, the first skill looks like bowling bash in RO, the other two looks like generic shield bash/shield charge. To bad I won't know if any of these skills will be useful, since I don't plan on playing it :[ ( This looks kinda like Monster Hunter Style <---I'll be playing that :] ).

I like that FIFA soccer idea near the end of the video ~"~ is that a skill? They should do that!, like allow you to use the environment as your weapon.

Mmm and those new magic skill looks like Necromancer styled skills except to that teleport one?, I dunno, maybe is because of the Skull Helmet?

I think "mage" or rather, magic don't fail in these types of games... because these are kinda like Dynasty Warrior style, where is one against many in a 3D open environment where AoE skills (which most magic skill tends to be) are prefer more than one vs few or one like say in Mabinogi. It is true there are many monster spawn situations in Mabi, but in such a case, AoE (that means Thunder and Windmill and things) is also clearly the more efficient way to go (Rafting etc). But the two different game have very different play environment, so I think that' one of the reason "mage" tend to be better.
Armelle

Post by Armelle »

Patchy wrote:ideelz
get with the times patchy,more and more games are going for the real time combat.
and you do realize,that when i said skill,i meant skill
you cant just run up to one of those bosses,and expect to be able to beat it without a plan.

and again.
when.
did.
i mention.
p. v. p.

i mean,there is PVP in this game,but its just as stupid as normal mabis,slapstick nonsense.
Patchy

Post by Patchy »

Armelle wrote:get with the times patchy,more and more games are going for the real time combat.
and you do realize,that when i said skill,i meant skill
you cant just run up to one of those bosses,and expect to be able to beat it without a plan.

and again.
when.
did.
i mention.
p. v. p.

i mean,there is PVP in this game,but its just as stupid as normal mabis,slapstick nonsense.
Real time combat eh? That's what I assumed too. Not sure what your point is there.

Oh, by "skills" you meant "things your character can do that can be put on hotkeys". My mistake! I will hereafter refer to this subject as "skills", plural, in quotations, as to not to be confused with, you know, skill. Pardon my misunderstanding; I thought you were talking about actual skill, such as strategy and execution in a game.
Armelle wrote:course,theres always e-peen even without stat whoring,but least you can say you lost out of skill more so than stats,eh
That sounds like PvP talk! Whoever heard of people complaining about how they "lost" to a field boss?

Still assuming we're talking about PvP, how is "you lost because they had better "skills" " any fundamentally different from "you lost because they had better stats"? That's pretty silly to me too, since stats and "skills" are basically two dimensions of the same accomplishments from grinding in MMOs.

Anyway, most people who play MMOs and actually care about stats and "skills" are probably gonna play PvP at some point, and yep, PvP is all about stats and "skills", not skill. Ok, my previous argument was off-topic. Please ignore it.
Armelle

Post by Armelle »

my point being that this is not at all your typical "skill" mmo combat did not get across at all

it does take some strategy,a well thought out plan,and knowing some of the bosses moves/patterns/"skills" to fight them.
the way you speak,you make it sound like you run up to it,click it to death,and ocasionaly press a hotkey,mabinogi heroes does not work this way.

much like monster hunter,where skill is very important or you get steamrolled in the worst way imaginable.

course if your a mage,yes youl be spamming skills in the most cowardace,hit-n-run way possible,much like i was in my video.

of course,this dosnt seem to be going through your head,as your definition of skill,even so being the same one i speak of,is not.
possibly in an attempt to belittle my opinion on what skill truly is.

and for the record,i hate pvp centered games.

anyway,dropping the subject at this.
Patchy

Post by Patchy »

Armelle wrote:my point being that this is not at all your typical "skill" mmo combat did not get across at all

it does take some strategy,a well thought out plan,and knowing some of the bosses moves/patterns/"skills" to fight them.
the way you speak,you make it sound like you run up to it,click it to death,and ocasionaly press a hotkey,mabinogi heroes does not work this way.

much like monster hunter,where skill is very important or you get steamrolled in the worst way imaginable.

course if your a mage,yes youl be spamming skills in the most cowardace,hit-n-run way possible,much like i was in my video.

of course,this dosnt seem to be going through your head,as your definition of skill,even so being the same one i speak of,is not.
possibly in an attempt to belittle my opinion on what skill truly is.

and for the record,i hate pvp centered games.

anyway,dropping the subject at this.
Ok, since we can't agree on what actual skill is, let's speak of it no more! *hugs*