[Mabinogi Heroes/Vindictus]CBT sign ups are here

For general discussions related to Nexon's latest Mabinogi-themed offering: Vindictus!
Armelle

[Mabinogi Heroes/Vindictus]CBT sign ups are here

Post by Armelle »

http://vindictus.nexon.net/
just letting you guys know
ferghus
Site Admin
Site Admin
IGN(s): Yoorah
Server: Ruairi, Mari

Re: [Mabinogi Heroes/Vindictus]CBT sign ups are here

Post by ferghus »

zomg! Signed up!
Achiel

Post by Achiel »

inb4 none of us gets in.
Armelle

Post by Armelle »

they recently just optmized client perfomance by alot,like i dont lag at all now
hope they include the new multicore option in the beta
thenagainitsna-nexonwhywouldiexpectanyclientoptimizationatall
Achiel

Post by Achiel »

Armelle wrote:they recently just optmized client perfomance by alot,like i dont lag at all now
hope they include the new multicore option in the beta
thenagainitsna-nexonwhywouldiexpectanyclientoptimizationatall
Because President Nixon brain washes us all.
ferghus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ferghus »

So they added optimization for multi-core systems, huh? That's neat. It might not be available in the first client they release, but I'm sure we'll get it quicker than the Koreans had to wait for it. Nexon seems pretty serious about making this into a quality title, and proper performance optimizations certainly help.
Achiel

Post by Achiel »

Somehow, I can predict, even if it's Source. Somehow, some way, they're gonna fuck something up and make it lag to hell.
Yuneiko

Post by Yuneiko »

In b4 no bitmap font, char screen lag, broken animations, poor translations
ferghus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ferghus »

It's quite possible that there will be screw ups during launch, but overall I'm sure it will be a smoother process. Those asian devs don't typically write proper code, especially for the f2p MMOs. They focus on money-extracting content instead, with almost no resources dedicated to building a proper back-end, nor to quality assurance. For that reason, I was really happy back when I heard that they'd be using a real engine this time. Bugs like broken animations happen when the dev tools suck (and the dev isn't competent enough to notice)--Source comes with its own dev tools, so that will help too.

Even looking at things like multi-core optimizations, most games today are still only optimized for 2-3 cores only, and I'm not even talking about the crappily-coded f2p MMOs, which I bet hardly support any multi-core optimization, if any at all. Source was designed to scale well regardless of how many more cores you have. You can read this old article that was a preview for the new Source tech back then, and it also explains some of the challenges and benefits of multi-core optimizations in game engines. It was published in '06 so it might or might not be current, but it gives a good general idea anyway.