[File] Commerce profit calculator

A collection of various tools, files and other resources that may help you in your adventures in Erinn.
Soluna

[File] Commerce profit calculator

Post by Soluna »

A calculator that helps you to calculate the maximum profit at a particular trade post through comparing the goods the trade post provides.

Controls (Located at the right side):
Transportation: Selecting the various transportation will automatically update the quantity you can carry by that method, selectable through drop down list.
Contracts: Allow you to choose contract if you used it to calculate the exp gain.
Targeted Item: The item you wish to trade, selectable through drop down list.
Current Profit: The profit displayed in game.

Display (Located at the left):
Best Transport: The best transportation to carry the particular item.
Required Gain: The profit needed for that item to match the item you wish to carry.
Ducat Gain: The total ducat profit you will be making with the deal (With Contract Accounted if Contract Used).
Exp Gain: The total exp you will be gaining from doing the trade (With Contract Accounted if Contract Used).

Usage:
1. Select the Transportation for your trade; Foot, Back Pack, Horse, or Pack Elephant, this will update the max quantities of the different items can be carried by the best transportation methods for comparison. (i.e. If you choose elephant but the horse carries more for certain item, the best transport will remain as horse and vice versa.)
2. Select the Target Item that you wish to trade categorized by the different trade posts. (e.g. Lovely Potion from Tir Chonaill.)
3. Input the profit gain displayed in game into the Current Profit Cell. (e.g. 78 in the screenshot.)
4. Look at the Tir Chonaill Item List in the display, check to see if the other item have value equal to or greater than the value listed in the Req. Gain Cell, if it doesn't you have the best profit route.(e.g. In the picture, in order for other Tir Chonaill Goods to have a deal better than Lovely Potion at 78 profit gain, there needs to be a deal in game that give 69 profit gain for Baby Potion, 56 profit gain for Diet Potion, etc...).

Download
Note: As with all spreadsheet-based calculators posted here, this can be uploaded to and opened with Google Docs. You don't need to have MS Office Excel.
shadofrak

Re: [File] Commerce Calculator

Post by shadofrak »

this is pretty nice
saves me a lot of math :V
Soluna

Post by Soluna »

Version Up:

Updated to include calculation of the experience gain of the targeted item.
Updated to allow contract selection option.
Fixed compare methods.
Fixed Text Errors
Mycelium

Post by Mycelium »

Very good work, thanks for this.

If I may make a suggestion, I think we can make it more helpful by adding a Ducat-per-minute category. It's a project I started on very briefly before giving up since collecting all the route times was quite tedious. However, I just made a public spreadsheet that anyone can edit so the community at large can help collect the data. I've shared it with my guild and if anyone here is so inspired, feel free to fill it in with your own times.

The public link is: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... DBlTmgxRmc

Notes:
-Time yourself in a run without encountering bandits to make things accurate to an ideal situation.
-Timing runs to and from Belfast will have different results due to the wait time boarding a ship. We could deal with this in several ways, but perhaps it's easiest to start/stop the timer at Cobh harbor and add an average wait time.
Soluna

Post by Soluna »

I don't plan on add in any time variants into calculating because I don't think it matters much at all...

If A -> B with Horse can give more Ducat/Min v.s. A -> B with Elephants but Elephant gives more Ducats in single run, I'd still pick Elephants because the only notion that Horse can give more is if you do the same route from A -> B over and over again with the same time limit, which usually doesn't work that way. Because there's no time limit... and when you end in B you don't necessary go back to A...

It is pretty much in the sense no one would use a horse to carry loads of Lovely Potion from Tir Chonaill if they could use Elephants even if it is slower.

I think people are trying to complicate the system more than it really is, all you really need is an actual calculator to punch in the profit then pick the most gain routes. This was made just so people have to punch in less numbers. There is truth that some routes might be faster like abb neagh vs onsa trail with same destination, but that's something when you run enough you'd know.

The only thing that might be added to this next is the different level of bandits spawn at the different maps, but S3 will strengthened the bandits by a bit so I don't plan only add in that for the time being.
Mycelium

Post by Mycelium »

Surely, knowing the route times will not change your decision about which method of transportation to use, but is meant to help you know which is the best destination.

For example, if I'm at Dunbarton with Incubus Suits, and my profits are:

Going to Tara will obviously give me the largest profit.

However, it will take me 450 seconds to travel there, whereas it will take me 140 seconds to travel to Emain for 60% of the profit.... so I save 70% of the time for just a 30% profit loss. And of course, once I'm at emain there will be another route from that point that is the most time/ducat efficient, ad infinitum.
Soluna

Post by Soluna »

That's actually close to 40% profit lost...

It won't change my decision on which destination I pick. If I were to choose transport Incubus suit I would pick my destination as Tara. If I were lazy and tired I would pick Emain.
If this becomes S3, I would avoid onsa at all cost... then again, if S3 "trading" will just probably become more like "bandit killing" instead.
Mycelium

Post by Mycelium »

Soluna wrote:That's actually close to 40% profit lost...

It won't change my decision on which destination I pick. If I were to choose transport Incubus suit I would pick my destination as Tara. If I were lazy and tired I would pick Emain.
If this becomes S3, I would avoid onsa at all cost... then again, if S3 "trading" will just probably become more like "bandit killing" instead.
But the time gained still exceeds the profit lost. As far as Osna, I don't really see your point... knowing the average time to a commerce posts applies everywhere. And as for the example, if you do choose to go to Tara, I hope you realize that you are not gaining ducats as fast as you can, which is surely of interest to most people.
Soluna

Post by Soluna »

Mycelium wrote: But the time gained still exceeds the profit lost. As far as Osna, I don't really see your point... knowing the average time to a commerce posts applies everywhere. And as for the example, if you do choose to go to Tara, I hope you realize that you are not gaining ducats as fast as you can, which is surely of interest to most people.
When you have veteran bandit spawn in Onsa on you simple from transporting Pasta I dunno, sure... it doesn't matter at all...
Mycelium

Post by Mycelium »

Soluna wrote:
Mycelium wrote: But the time gained still exceeds the profit lost. As far as Osna, I don't really see your point... knowing the average time to a commerce posts applies everywhere. And as for the example, if you do choose to go to Tara, I hope you realize that you are not gaining ducats as fast as you can, which is surely of interest to most people.
When you have veteran bandit spawn in Onsa on you simple from transporting Pasta I dunno, sure... it doesn't matter at all...
Maximizing ducat profit speaks for itself... math is math, and any extraneous circumstances will naturally be taken into consideration by the person doing the commerce.

But, I'm starting to feel like my idea is being met with resistance from you, so I'm sorry if you feel like I'm stepping on your toes by trying to help. If that's the case, I can take my thoughts elsewhere. But this forum seemed like the best place to contribute to Mabinogi data.