Spring animu worth watching

Because most of us love anime and manga. :3
somecoolguy
Rank 7 Succubus
Rank 7 Succubus
IGN(s): somecoolguy rapethemaids

Spring animu worth watching

Postby somecoolguy » Sat May 03, 2014 5:13 am

So I've been trying to watch the first few episodes of all the spring animu and so far here's my impressions of the ones I got to.
Green means if you watch any of this seasons stuff, this would be what I recommend based off my own likings

Selector Infected WIXOSS- Girls playing card games using other girls to win a magical wish...? All I know is there doesn't seem to be any kind of structure to the card game and the main girl's card girl has the most nail on chalkboard voice in the world holy shit. It seems pretty meh but it hinted that there's something fucked up going on so I'll probably watch a few more despite having my ears bleed out every time the card girl makes a noise (note: she doesn't talk. Just makes eldrich abomination noises)

Ping Pong: The Animation- WHATS THAT THEY GOT PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY SPEAK CHINESE TO VOICE THE CHINESE PEOPLE? SOLD. Animu about a guy who is really good at pingpong and his cocky as hell friend who's really good too. Very expressive animation style. Also very ugly, but that doesn't stop me from liking it. I don't pingpong and I very seldom chinese, but the way they present it just sucks you in. The main character, friend, and what I assume is the mentor all seem like pretty down to earth real people. I like it.

Ryuugajou Nanana no Maizoukin -Nananabatman's Collection is a horde of cool magical treasures that do all sorts of things, MC moves into an apartment haunted by Nanana's ghost who was murdered 10 years ago, and the story revolves around all these treasures Nanana hid away, the people going after them, and the mystery behind Nanana's death. Probably the best animu I've watched for this season. Despite all the stereotypical character archetypes they throw at you, none of them grated me the wrong way and the story is interesting. I'll definitely be sticking to this one.

Kanojo ga flag somethingorother- Guy can see people's intentions via flags on their heads. Harem animu with a good plot idea but is way too busy dipping into the harem pool to let it be more than a good idea. Grr.

Isshuukan Friends- Girl who forgets all her friends every monday and a guy who wants to be friends (suuuuure). So far it's been very predictable and nothing really makes me want to keep watching past whats currently out. I guess it's kinda sad that she forgets everyone, but each episode represents a week so it happens every episode to the point where you get a bit desensitized. Or maybe I'm just too jaded as a result of watching my anoclannadbeats.

Mekakucity Actors SHAFT SHAFT SHAFTSHAFTSHAFT SHAFT, not as seizure inducing as Bakemonogatari but you can definitely tell. Something about vocaloids. I have no idea what the story is about but it feels like durarara with my own original character blatsune bliku who has blue hair in twintails. Oddly engaging because I want to know what the hell is going on and the technology in that world is pretty cool and doesn't seem too far off from what we might end up going towards.

No Game No Life- I don't understand why theres so much hype for it. I love the choice of colors and how vivid everything is, but I hate how every game they play and win (cmon. of course they win) is essentially an ass-pull. So far every game was by luck or just straightup bullshit. It's not bad, I just don't get why it stands out so much over everything else.

Black Bullet- I liked it. Then I watched episodes 4 and the plot went from a comfortable trickle to a torrent up the whazoo. Like, ok spoilers, in a single episode:[spoiler]The main bad guy who killed everyone and everything without a sweat gets killed in one shot by the main character using an ass-pull. The horrible monster that almost lead to the human race's extinction is resurrected, then killed in one hit. Everyone except the main guy and his chums basically die. Foreshadowing that his partners gonna die[/spoiler]
Like holy shit slow the fuck down. I do want to keep watching it since it reminds me of Gunslinger Girl, but it seems to be taking a turn for the worst.

EDIT1: Watched a few more.

Mahouka Koukou no Rettou- Didn't like it. Humanity discovers magic through science (wut) and now high school kids are learning it in a school to become military power for the grorious nippon. It just has a lot of things I don't like. Unnecessary in your face incest, sci-fi that isn't believable, and completely binary class system where there's a privileged group that looks down on the non privileged group like they're dogs. Like, sure, anime isn't realistic, but when the story is set in an alternate not-so-far future of our current world using our history, you'd think that society wouldn't revert back to victorian era classism. My suspension of disbelief was torn to shreds by the end of episode 1. The action scenes are pretty ok, but that's all I liked.

Seikoku no Dragonar- The story is about a girl guy named Louise Ash who has failed to summon a familiar dragon and everyone teases him and calls him zero a problem child. One day he finally summons his familiar dragon and it turns out to be
ActuallyZeroNoTsukaima a girl. She's the only flat girl apparently because there are BASKETBALL BOOBS EVERYWHERE. Like I couldn't even focus on what was happening because everyones tits were disturbingly shaped. But if you can get past that, this is basically Zero No Tsukaima Mark 2 with less story and more boobage. Except they're pretty damn OK with showing the loli stark naked without conveniently placed smoke. A LOT.

Escha and Logy no Atelie- Umm.. some girl who uses alchemy to make pies and whatever plot important item she may need aspires to explore some ruins in the sky ...? I honestly felt like nothing happened for the whole 25 minutes I watched this. I felt bored and I couldn't even pinpoint why.

Mangaka san to assistant-Quality. Just like the mango.

Gokukoku no Brynhildr- Once upon a time there was a young MC and girl and they went to go see aliens on a ledge but MC was retarted and fell, dragging the girl with him and killing her. Years later, a girl appears who looks exactly like the girl he accidentally killed. It's pretty good so far. They have a mystery romance psychological thing going on.

Hitsugi no Chaika- EVIL UNICORNS MAN. I don't know what the hell has happened or is happening, but it's slowly revealing it little by little by showing rather than telling. The little girl is adorable, the brother and sister are awesome (and not incestuous). There's no down time where you feel like it's wasted on lengthy exposition at the beginning when you don't care. All the makings for a good animu and I hope it stays that way. I can feel it. THIS IS THE ONE.

Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii- Girl who controls wind is married off to a supposed world conquering king. It's not bad, silly characters and lighthearted for the most part. It was apparently a shuju mango before it was an anime so I expect the girl to hate the king first and gradually grow on him until they have babbies. Also the king is a shota

EDIT 2:

M3- Theres some evil black metal rocks that turn people into red poop monsters and a buncha high schoolers have to fight them in weird mecha things. The main guy is super dark n brooding and the girl thats plastered herself to him is really annoying. Maybe it gets better but I won't be finding out by watching.

Akuma no Riddle- 12 Psycho killer girls + 1 normal anime schoolgirl. Everyones trying to kill the normal girl for some reason. Main girl goes lesbo for the target and instead starts protecting her. Pretty interesting animu. The whole trapped in a class with rules of killing people to win is kinda like Danganropa but less who-done-it and more knife throwing choke holding and tea spraying.

That's all I've been able to watch enough to judge so far. What did you guys like?
Last edited by somecoolguy on Sun May 11, 2014 5:13 am, edited 7 times in total.
Did you just break wind? Because you blow me away.

Sky
o senpai >w<
IGN(s): Sky
Server: Ruairi

Re: Spring animu worth watching

Postby Sky » Sat May 03, 2014 9:06 am

dam senpai beat me!!!!
Platinum Trophies!
Tales of Graces f (Apr '12), Tekken 6 (May '12), Tales of Xillia (Oct '13)

Yoorah
Site Admin
Site Admin
IGN(s): Yoorah
Server: Ruairi, Mari

Postby Yoorah » Sat May 03, 2014 12:42 pm

I've only watched No Game No Life and Black Bullet. Didn't know NGNL was hyped... I personally went in expecting very little, but it turned out to be quite entertaining, at the very least. Black Bullet is your stereotypical action anime with lolis--it's nothing impressive, but it's watchable.

Armelle
Rank 1 Imp
Rank 1 Imp
IGN(s): Awolkia Armelle

Postby Armelle » Sat May 03, 2014 2:19 pm

Why aren't you nerds walking like an Egyptian?

somecoolguy
Rank 7 Succubus
Rank 7 Succubus

Postby somecoolguy » Sat May 03, 2014 5:07 pm

Teach me how to be kakkoii senpai

Armelle
Rank 1 Imp
Rank 1 Imp
IGN(s): Awolkia Armelle

Postby Armelle » Sat May 03, 2014 5:09 pm

somecoolguy wrote:Teach me how to be kakkoii senpai

also wixoss is(going to be) a real card game
show feels like they wanted to make yugioh for the madoka crowd.

somecoolguy
Rank 7 Succubus
Rank 7 Succubus

Postby somecoolguy » Sun May 04, 2014 5:10 am

I just watched the first episode of Jojo and felt like I had no idea what the significance of anything was so now I'm watching the Jojo before this Jojo. PRETTY MANLY

somecoolguy
Rank 7 Succubus
Rank 7 Succubus

Postby somecoolguy » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:31 am

Now that the spring animu are finishing up, I'm also catching up and can JUDGE THEM WITH THE FURY OF A THOUSAND SUNS. Spoilers obviously, but I'm gonna be pretty vague so it won't really give anything away.

Black Bullet turned out pretty bad in the end. A lot of enormous inconsistencies made every dramatic moment look really forced. One moment the main guy is kicking bionic lolis through 6 story buildings, and the next he's struggling to save someone because two normal humans are restraining him. Just bionic bitchslap their jaws off jesus. A lot of plot holes too. Like they never explained what the deal was with the tricycle, or Tina's pursuer situation, or basically everything that appeared in episode 13. Episode 13 in general though... I don't even. It was like everything wrong with the show packed into 20 minutes. The pacing went at a breakneck speed after the first episodes, and often an episode would end on a cliffhanger, only for it to be waved off on the next episode without so much as an explanation of how it was resolved. I wanted to like it, but it was just too bad to like for me.

Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou was a floofy ass anime. Just about a guy and a girl and their other complex residents doing random things every day. I liked the characters... I just wish something actually HAPPENED throughout the series to develop them more. At the end of the anime, the guy was still a nice guy and the girl was still a book worm. They don't get together but they do get minutely closer. Which was infuriating. It was a feel good anime with no closure. Not bad, but unggggg not satisfying either.

Chaika! Pretty happy with it. Cliffhanger last episode, and there should be a next season in the fall. They had a clear objective, there's mysteries to be solved, and I liked how every remains they found was in a different setting that showed the state of the world after the war. There were plot twists to keep you on your toes, and every character was likeable. Except for the dragoon cat girl shes goddamn annoying. I also liked how their version of magic was different from your average explanation of how it works, and the world is consistent to the explanation they set up. You learned all these things in steady interactions between characters rather than a giant monologue and it was cool. If I had to say anything bad, it'd be that the dragoon girl existed. I liked her story arc but she shoulda disappeared after that instead of joining the crew. There's no reason she should be in the form of a little girl, she should have died in episode 12 but ofc main characters can't die in anime, and shes so annoying like holy shit shes only there for like 4 seconds every episode but all she does is pout whine and say the same thing over and over.

Return to “Anime & Manga”