[NA Update] G17: Same Sex Marriage bonus feature

Info about Mabinogi game updates from around the world.
ferghus
Site Admin
Site Admin
IGN(s): Yoorah
Server: Ruairi, Mari

[NA Update] G17: Same Sex Marriage bonus feature

Post by ferghus »

Mabinogi Dev Journals: 'Classic Update' Adds New Mount, Same Sex Marriage

Nexon America has partnered with MMORPG.com for this exclusive developer journal detailing the forthcoming 'Classic Update' to their free-to-play MMO, Mabinogi. The update adds a new Puppeteer talent, new mount, and also includes changes to Mabinogi's wedding system in order to incorporate same sex marriages between players.

Weddings are a popular element in the game with more than 67,000 in-game unions since the game launched in 2008. Characters of the same gender are now allowed to marry in-game, following countless suggestions from players asking for the feature to be added in this fantasy life MMO.

“When players speak out about specific content, we do our best to deliver,” said Teddy Kim, Nexon America’s Mabinogi producer. “That is the great thing about Mabinogi; it allows players fully immerse themselves in the lives they take on in-game. Players can get married, fight dragons, become musicians or learn to cook. We think that opening up the wedding system to same gender characters is fully in the spirit of offering nearly limitless options to our players.”
Source: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game ... riage.html

Games have generally avoided this due to its controversial nature. But I guess this is what NA gets for its exclusive content, haha.
Armelle

Re: [NA Update] G17: Same Sex Marriage bonus feature

Post by Armelle »

well this is all swell and good.
except my girlfriend flat out hates mmo's.
and i honestly don't blame her.
Mackinz

Post by Mackinz »

Armelle wrote:well this is all swell and good.
except my girlfriend flat out hates mmo's.
and i honestly don't blame her.
So marry a friend who is a girl in game then. :)
hen937

Post by hen937 »

To be honest in America, Gays and lesbians have been put down for years because of its history and the church. It's nice to have a change to have my husband and me no longer have to hide behind a guy figure to be married. For years she been the male in the marriage with our 7 children in the family but know we can be what ever we like and still hold a family. In all truth though this isn't something new in the old days you could glitch mabi to have the same sex marriage if you could get a character card and switch it after marriage, but with the resent updates you couldn't, which lead people to get upset. Though i have to say on my server i know my share amounts of gay's, lesbians and bi, and they are some of the greatest people i met, and married too. So i am happy for all of them to achieve something in away most thought it wouldn't be possible.This is a nice stride in the right direction, i believe that america should take a hint from this game and let people marry who they want.
Armelle

Post by Armelle »

also, not trying to sound like an ass or anything but--
the moment i read the news for this i realized they totally did this for publicity and media reasons.
they aren't exactly ones to just do that for no reason, i don't play maplestory but i assume it doesn't have same-sex marriage stuff?
hell, i really doubt this was something "constantly asked for". theres a billion other things in this buggy game to ask for(like client optimization in general...), usually even more vocal than whenever this was suggested.
Sky

Post by Sky »

Armelle wrote: the moment i read the news for this i realized they totally did this for publicity and media reasons.
Same thoughts.
shadofrak

Post by shadofrak »

Sky wrote:
Armelle wrote: the moment i read the news for this i realized they totally did this for publicity and media reasons.
Same thoughts.
Yeah, I can tell that's what it's for, but it's still a happy change for us LGBT-folk
hen937

Post by hen937 »

Well also it another thing to say they have that many other games have so it a drawing people the game wasn't before
shadofrak

Post by shadofrak »

hen937 wrote:Well also it another thing to say they have that many other games have so it a drawing people the game wasn't before
That is true - it's the only MMO with that feature.
I'm not sure if that's really gonna draw a flood of new players, though. Marriage is a fairly small element of the game.
And if those who were drawn to it end up not liking the game anyway...
Armelle

Post by Armelle »

shadofrak wrote:That is true - it's the only MMO with that feature
incorrect. theres several mmos that seem to have absolutely no care whatsoever the gender of the partner is. they just don't advertise it as a feature
i couldn't name them even if i remembered what they were
they were ultra generic

only one that comes to mind that i tried recently, like last year, was eden eternal.