[Testing] "Balance" Update

Info about Mabinogi game updates from around the world.
metricking

Re: [Testing] "Balance" Update

Post by metricking »

uoi100 wrote:if we kept the old formula with the new skills magic would be broken. You would deal way too much damage with the instant casting skill if we kept the old formula.

Example:
Spoiler: show
Hailstorm's damage based on old formula (1500 int, masteries, reforges, enchants, magic power potion, rosemary)
around 7,968+ damage with 5 charges

in 12 seconds you would deal a total of 95,625 normal damage with the instant casting skill. With a maximum crit potential of: 239k+ crit damage

Vs

Hailstorm's damage based on new formula (1500 int, masteries, reforges, enchants, magic power potion, rosemary)

around 4196+ damage with 5 charges

in 12 seconds you would deal 50k+ normal damage with the instant casting skill.
With a maximum of crit potential of: 125k+ crit damage.
With the new formula, yes we deal a lot less damage but its controllable. Can you imagine if they put 50% magic protection because of our old formula? That would hurt every mage in the game especially the new ones, because the only way for you to deal feasible damage is to get every possible end-game enchants and reforges as well as equipment like the rosemary glove.

Atleast with the new formula, its a buff towards the new/mid players that cannot get access to end-game enchants, equipment, reforges.

End-game mages may have a damage reduction cause of the new formula, but they'll still be doing a large amount of burst damage with instant casting than they could ever have done with just the old formula alone.

If anything, its just the magic constants that needs to be tweaked. The new formula's fireball actually does close to the old formula's fireball.

I also didn't like the structure of how the old formula was made anyways, the new formula is more simple and makes more sense to me lol.
well magic really needed a buff, its just not a reliable damage dealer end game, so many end game mobs have mana deflector also so it doesn't even matter if end game was broken, just look at peaca int, so many magic immune mobs a mage is next to useless most of the dungeon. on top of that even how the formula is now, end game warriors can do more dmg in the time it takes for 1 charge of thunder than thunder itself does, just by using smash, which is instant all the time, then look at end game puppeteers, their dmg out put is even higher than that, and their attacks are physical, so they are useful all the time, rather than some of the time. How about gunners? end game their dps is insane, then add in frenzy, and 5r guns,
Soluna wrote:Stat Bonus "Balance"

Will-
Same damage formula, 10 Will -> +1 Magic Defense
^ doesnt even give mages an advantage in pvp with the whole fighter bandwagon, so why cant mages have ONE thing?, o and as for the new formula being applied to mobs, most likely the end game mobs who have high prot now will have high magic prot.....
Zeo

Post by Zeo »

Yeah... like I said in the previous post. I don't want to be forced to use Instant Cast to actually do good damage.

So I did not like the new formula for the magic at all, especially since it made our magic weaker. Again, in my previous post, I wouldn't mind if the formula for magic was left untouched long as we get to keep the three skills, Instant Cast, Mobile Cast, and Meteor Storm.

Even with the new formula, and 12 seconds of Insant Cast... Puppeteer, Gunner, Fighter, and possibly many other skillsets will outdamage us. If we kept the old formula, it would help us being up to the par on other skills.
uoi100

Post by uoi100 »

no, we won't be outdamaged. We would be bursting 30k+ total AOE damage within 12 seconds, besides I would assume they'll have reforges for instant casting to extend its duration / reduce cooldown lol.
doesnt even give mages an advantage in pvp with the whole fighter bandwagon, so why cant mages have ONE thing
pvp will NEVER be balanced on Mabinogi.
on top of that even how the formula is now, end game warriors can do more dmg in the time it takes for 1 charge of thunder than thunder itself does
Yeah and with the new update, mages will be able to burst thunder with instant casting. Not to mention that its an aoe skill so naturally it'll be weaker than smash.
then look at end game puppeteers, their dmg out put is even higher than that, and their attacks are physical, so they are useful all the time, rather than some of the time. How about gunners? end game their dps is insane, then add in frenzy, and 5r guns,
Except puppeteer and gunners were built to be end-game. They take two stats values for max damage, and then add in their skills and their capabilities.

This is a buff I rather have for mages, I prefer burst damage so I don't know why mage has to be a DPS class.
ferghus
Site Admin
Site Admin
IGN(s): Yoorah
Server: Ruairi, Mari

Post by ferghus »

Mages were never meant to be a DPS class in the first place. (HS is an exception in some cases, perhaps?) Remember how "overpowered" Fireball was when it came out? It was like a nuke. While it would have been inefficient for everyday easy grinding runs due to its slow casting, it was very valuable in tougher dungeons where pre-charging it strategically would make clearing the room much easier for the whole party. Those who played for years since then may have noticed how this idea got obsolete (or at least, that was my impression). I think the new magic skills aim to restore the old spirit of magic's role, and I think they've done a pretty decent job there.

Saying you'd be happy with the old formula, while saying you also want the new skills is like saying you wanna eat your pie and keep it, too. :P
uoi100

Post by uoi100 »

I remember the good old days of Alexina, where hitting 1k+ damage with fireball and everyone would be like OMGAWDS BAWSSSS and seeing a random Infra Black would be like OH MAI GAWDD PRO! LOL
Zvaince

Post by Zvaince »

But we can all agree, alchemy needed some sort of a boost right?
Zvaince

Post by Zvaince »

Yoorah wrote:Mages were never meant to be a DPS class in the first place.
If it was never meant to be a DPS, melees shouldnt be able to do the same damage or more in like 2 seconds. A guy with a nuke should never be outdone in damage by a guy with a sword.
ferghus
Site Admin
Site Admin
IGN(s): Yoorah
Server: Ruairi, Mari

Post by ferghus »

Read the post you quoted, yo! And think about it a bit. xp
Euphie

Post by Euphie »

I feel a bit unsure about the update, but seriously, haven't you guys started picturing the videos yet?

Guy solo'ing Peaca facing up 5 ghosts, they all go for some sort of intermediate magic spell, he rushes out a CC Lightning wand to sun and quickly switches to his Savage Fire wand, instant casts a Fireball, windmill the incomers, and by the time they're back up, they're all down. Blaze gets mixed in every now and then (CAN YOU CHARGE BLAZE WHILE MOVING OMG), and yeah. I mean, maybe I'm being a bit overly optimistic, but let's look at what's happened in the past. Fighter seemed like it'd be dull (use 1, 2, 3, repeat). Then you got people like 22reigan posting glorious videos on Youtube, showing its full potential. Archers getting cooldowns was ragemode for everyone back in G12, but being able to mix Crash shot into combos now is just amazing, and overall the system is fun (easier, but that just means it encourages challenging yourself with multi-aggro). Etc etc.

And if you bring 8 mages to the yard, each with r1 Meteor Storm, what of the Dragon field spawns then?
nandattebayo

Post by nandattebayo »

Puppet already decimates Ghosts.