[Testing] "Balance" Update

Info about Mabinogi game updates from around the world.
OizenX

Re: [Testing] "Balance" Update

Post by OizenX »

I feel like alchemy is only getting lazily patched.

Alchemy is fundamentally flawed. These changed wont fix it, the issue of alchemy is that if you have an awesome flame burst, every other alchemy skill you have that isn't Fire is horrible, whats more is that ranking alchemy skills don't improve the damage of your other alchemy skills at all. All this update is really doing is further messing up alchemists who don't have high HP/MP/STAM, I really hope the alch skills give those 3 things in boat loads. Along with making the Alchemy Grand Masters actually useful.

And what does this do to Construct Alchemy? I mean its hardly useful as it stands now, but with this new system, what are we making exactly? I only use it for shocks/lifedrains/blizzards

Is it bad that I joiend this place just to say that?
Mackinz

Post by Mackinz »

Well, Oizen, this is in Testing still, so I doubt that they will leave Alchemy's damage problems completely untouched.

Also, Construct Alchemy will still be useful for Fragmentation, Metal Conversion, Synthesis, etc. Other construct skills seem to be much easier to rank with these changes, as well. You're still creating something when you create a cloud or a golem.
metricking

Post by metricking »

Psy wrote: But ya, I don't see why races even exist outside of cosmetics. I think they should just merge humans and elves with matching their advantages, then match the stats/skills with giants, and give giants elven features as well. And none of this "this race can't have this color blank" crap either. But we all know that will never happen, there really isn't a way to fix this hole.
well im in agreement with this, however if they were to implement this they have to give out perfect skill resets, deciede on a universal move speed because u know elf players would proabaly miss that speed, (which is y yet again id totally see an assassin talent)
Soluna wrote: I think one of the reason they are staying away from race restriction weapon/skills now is because of well... race!!

If you give out an weapon skill set only to a particular race, the other races can't get it so they get bored (Point* at Lance/Elf). And the lance was probably introduced to allow human/giant have amounted attack skill to offset Elf's ranged on mount, which after that, all skill became open to all race again.

The trend can be seen from C2 where players start to decline due to race/lack of story. Then you see C3 returning with alchemy a skill set available to all, storyline and loads of content (The Shadow Missions) etc...

The trend now however... is storyline + endless skills that is available to all, there hasn't really been a well-beefed 'content" update for awhile.

As for Balance <---
This game doesn't have any okay? Not even since the beginning since there was not even Stats Cap (Food Spammers say high?!), Point* at Fire Emblem, Second Seal = Endless Rebirth. Anyone with high enough level knows it, when you reach that "mark", it doesn't matter what race, what "class', what weapon you use anymore, you can clear the mission/dungeon/quest just fine. The only difference is because it is MMO, so something will REQUIRE you to have "friends" and that's just the simple truth.
well admittedly race restricted classes aren't fun, but its kind of needed to give elves a DECENT method of melee combat, not necessarily making them tanky, maybe give them a lot of luck to keep them squishy but give them survivability with the passive evade and give their hide skill some more use?(yes i keep suggesting an assassin talent, its pretty much the only talent i can think of that mabi doesn't have yet, plus i cant think of anything skillset based off luck, i actually think thats where the evasion passive is going.) maybe give giants more skills with their javelins, to give them dex?, or maybe just add a dex bonus to the skill itself? Devcat will have to address these blatant flaws in racial balance eventually
Kapra

Post by Kapra »

metricking wrote:
Psy wrote: But ya, I don't see why races even exist outside of cosmetics. I think they should just merge humans and elves with matching their advantages, then match the stats/skills with giants, and give giants elven features as well. And none of this "this race can't have this color blank" crap either. But we all know that will never happen, there really isn't a way to fix this hole.
well im in agreement with this, however if they were to implement this they have to give out perfect skill resets, deciede on a universal move speed because u know elf players would proabaly miss that speed, (which is y yet again id totally see an assassin talent)
Well, if they did do a race merge what I purpose is adding MapleStory's personality system, but change the methods to obtain/effects to things like high running speed and etc, and make Elves made before this update have like lvl10 default in that trait but lvl 1 in everything else, and same for the other two races, but give newly created characters after the update lvl1 defaults for everything since they don't technically deserve compensation. Only real problem I can see is AP refunds. Since certain races pay more AP for skills than others, they'd have to get the difference back after a merge to have the race that had the least AP cost's amount used up on the skill. (If not, people reading patch notes can see "Oh, this skill will give me more AP if I rank it now but then derank it after the update, AP appearing out of thin air.")
metricking

Post by metricking »

Psy wrote:
metricking wrote:
Well, if they did do a race merge what I purpose is adding MapleStory's personality system, but change the methods to obtain/effects to things like high running speed and etc, and make Elves made before this update have like lvl10 default in that trait but lvl 1 in everything else, and same for the other two races, but give newly created characters after the update lvl1 defaults for everything since they don't technically deserve compensation. Only real problem I can see is AP refunds. Since certain races pay more AP for skills than others, they'd have to get the difference back after a merge to have the race that had the least AP cost's amount used up on the skill. (If not, people reading patch notes can see "Oh, this skill will give me more AP if I rank it now but then derank it after the update, AP appearing out of thin air.")
wouldnt that over complicate things?, y not just give a perfect reset on ap, so that whole ap difference wont exist(and here comes the but) even with that solving the ap problem it would be insanly complicated to change EVERY giant and elf to human without changing their looks and i can foresee devcat making a lot of errors in this process (or do i mean Nexon NA), then the technical aspect of including maplestory's system in a completely different game without even knowing all the details of how this would actually work it sounds like an outrageous amount of work,its not that i don't agree with you its just i dont think changing the entire game is the right route to go rather than just implementing new stuff,or revamping some skills, to balance out the races.
Kapra

Post by Kapra »

metricking wrote:
Psy wrote:
metricking wrote:
wouldnt that over complicate things?, y not just give a perfect reset on ap, so that whole ap difference wont exist(and here comes the but) even with that solving the ap problem it would be insanly complicated to change EVERY giant and elf to human without changing their looks and i can foresee devcat making a lot of errors in this process (or do i mean Nexon NA), then the technical aspect of including maplestory's system in a completely different game without even knowing all the details of how this would actually work it sounds like an outrageous amount of work,its not that i don't agree with you its just i dont think changing the entire game is the right route to go rather than just implementing new stuff,or revamping some skills, to balance out the races.
Reread what I said, actually, let me just make it simpler. I did not say ANYTHING about changing appearances or turning all Elves and Giants into humans. Sorry if this sound a little aggressive or anything, no offense. And I did previously say they will never be willing enough to do this, unfortunately. Like every other game they'll just dig the racial hole bigger until they have constant rebalances like Maple has or stay really unbalanced. (Like it is now.) This is what I purposed in simpler terms:

1. Lets say magic mastery gave 140 int to humans and giants but 150 to elves (this is hypothetical, not real stats) but humans paid only 50 AP whereas Giants and Elves paid 75. You'd maximize the pros and minimize the cons so nobody is mad, making it so all three races get 150 int (the amount elves get in this example) but only pay 50 AP (the amount humans pay in this example). They could skip this step but some of the races will be mad if they don't bell curve it like this.

2. Given 1.0, they have to bell curve the AP downwards, not upwards to the 75. Otherwise humans before this update from other servers will be like, oh, I should pay 50 AP into this skill now, wait for the update, then derank it to get 25 AP out of nowhere. So curving downwards will make abuse impossible. However, they will have to credit giants and elves 25 AP from that example.

3. They should implement a system similar to MapleStory's personality system to also deal with the conversion. Let me use three hypotheical personality traits for this example, Stealth, Focus, and Intimidation.

Stealth: Would add a certain amount of speed each lvl. At lvl 11, you unlock the action hide, and lvl 6 unlocks the Final Shot quest chain.
Focus: Would add some stat or something every lvl. At lvl 11, unlocks the ability to do the Final Hit quest chain, and lvl 6 unlocks Rock Throwing.
Intimidation: Would add some stat or something every lvl. At lvl 11, unlocks the ability to do the Wind Guard quest chain, and lvl 6 unlocks the Taunt quest chain.

In my suggestion of 3, lets say each player made before this hypothetical update will automatically be given certain lvls of those three stats after the update. Elves would be given lvl 11 stealth which would be 32% speed (they might curb it up if they use my exact example, since a normal char will start at lvl 1 and every lvl would add 3% sped in this example). Lvl 11 would also automatically teach you hide (or unlock a quest chain you can use to get hide if they want to.) Elves will also start with like, lvl 6 Focus, which will give them Rock Throwing. Giants would start with lvl 11 Intimidation, which automatically gives them the ability to learn Taun and Wind Guard provided they do the quests, and they'd start with lvl 6 Stealth, which gives them 16% speed. Humans would start with lvl 11 Focus, which automatically unlocks the ability to do the final hit quest chain, and they would start with lvl 6 intimidation

Note that the above only would apply if the player was made before the update, since new players don't exactly need compensation for it. I mean, they'd still get the same effects, but new characters would start at lvl 1 for all the personality traits and work their way up. There could also be other effects like lvl6 Intimidation to offset using Two Handed Swords and Heavy Armor.

The above suggestion is one way of how things could work, but without changing existing players. Humans will still have 100% speed, giants will still have 116%, elves would still have 132%; but there is potential to increase your speed to match theirs. Giants and Humans will still be capable of using a two handed sword or heavy armor, but there is potential to catch up. Etc.

4. For most part, rather than there being 3 races, there will instead be two body types. Humans and Elves will be virtually merged, provided suggestion 1/2 and 3. The united elf-human character creation screen will have both race's -only hairstyles and ears/face options. Along with race restricted hair/eye colors. (Humans can't get bright colored hair atm, elves can't get dark brown or black, elves can't be black atm, etc; this would be fixed in this suggestion.) In addition to that, humans/elves will be given giant-only hairs, this will take some work to make the character models of. And I don't see why beards and mustaches and etc from giant hairs have to be bound to the giant's hair model. They could just make like three model options instead of making four versions of each hair. In a similar idea, they could separate henna from the skin texture, like they do with eyes, and make them dyable by making them grayscale by default, like they do with eyes. Also, make giant-only henna available to humans/elves. Likewise, giants would get Human and Elf -only hair, henna, and elven ear options, this would take some work making models.

5. Giving all skills to everyone. Only thing they need to do for this case is, first of all, give humans Mirage Missile and Final Shot, which should not ba problem since elves and humans use the same animation sets, and do the same with giving elves lances. The only problem would be is making a final hit and bow animations for giants, which shouldn't be too hard.

6. Like in bullet 1/2, they'd bell curve Savage Beast and Falcon to have the exact same features, just different appearances for different races. This is the only racial difference I endorse, in terms of appearance and just appearance of trans, not appearance of anything else. Then, the united elf-human body type will be able to choose between Paladin, Dark Knight, and Falcon. Likewise, giants would be able to become a paladin or dark knight in addition to their beast form. On top of that, I propose they give paladins 200 int to one of their skills. If you look at the Transformations Comparisons table on the wiki, you'd understand why they need it that specifically. Dark Knights won't need much rebalancing after the balance update since things like str add defense and all that. All they need imo is a small will boost. There should be a third quest chain to unlock Falcon (for hu/elves) or Beast (for giants). In addition, you should be able to freely change between the three transformations provided you unlocked the transformation, just with some prerequisites, like how you can change back and forth between Neamhain Demigod and Morrighan Demigod. (As a fun thing they can add, they can let Weird Cat in Tir Chonaill be the one to do this type of change, in reference to how he let you skipped generations in the old generation 1-3, but has no use for the new version of them.) In addition to the above, Control of Darkness, Elven Magic Missile, and Giant Full Swing should be available to everyone regardless of which of the three transformations you choose. This would also add two extra skills to dump AP into, since so many players have run out of skills to dump trans exp into and they can only keep like 60 lvls worth unused in reserve.

The above suggestions would be a successful racial merge of all three, while not changing the appearance or removing any abilities to any races. Yes it is a bit complicated, but it's still very simple, and all they'd really have to do is spend some extra time making character models, animations, and crediting AP provide they also do suggestion #2. The only ability changes would be positive changes, so everybody would hopefully be happy. I may edit this list later if I come up with more idea or clarify something.
Last edited by Kapra on Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
metricking

Post by metricking »

Psy wrote:
metricking wrote:
Psy wrote:
metricking wrote:
Reread what I said, actually, let me just make it simpler. I did not say ANYTHING about changing appearances or turning all Elves and Giants into humans. Sorry if this sound a little aggressive or anything, no offense. And I did previously say they will never be willing enough to do this, unfortunately. Like every other game they'll just dig the racial hole bigger until they have constant rebalances like Maple has or stay really unbalanced. (Like it is now.) This is what I purposed in simpler terms:

1. Lets say magic mastery gave 140 int to humans and giants but 150 to elves (this is hypothetical, not real stats) but humans paid only 50 AP whereas Giants and Elves paid 75. You'd maximize the pros and minimize the cons so nobody is mad, making it so all three races get 150 int (the amount elves get in this example) but only pay 50 AP (the amount humans pay in this example). They could skip this step but some of the races will be mad if they don't bell curve it like this.

2. Given 1.0, they have to bell curve the AP downwards, not upwards to the 75. Otherwise humans before this update from other servers will be like, oh, I should pay 50 AP into this skill now, wait for the update, then derank it to get 25 AP out of nowhere. So curving downwards will make abuse impossible. However, they will have to credit giants and elves 25 AP from that example.

3. They should implement a system similar to MapleStory's personality system to also deal with the conversion. Let me use three hypotheical personality traits for this example, Stealth, Focus, and Intimidation.

Stealth: Would add a certain amount of speed each lvl. At lvl 11, you unlock the action hide, and lvl 6 unlocks the Final Shot quest chain.
Focus: Would add some stat or something every lvl. At lvl 11, unlocks the ability to do the Final Hit quest chain, and lvl 6 unlocks Rock Throwing.
Intimidation: Would add some stat or something every lvl. At lvl 11, unlocks the ability to do the Wind Guard quest chain, and lvl 6 unlocks the Taunt quest chain.

In my suggestion of 3, lets say each player made before this hypothetical update will automatically be given certain lvls of those three stats after the update. Elves would be given lvl 11 stealth which would be 32% speed (they might curb it up if they use my exact example, since a normal char will start at lvl 1 and every lvl would add 3% sped in this example). Lvl 11 would also automatically teach you hide (or unlock a quest chain you can use to get hide if they want to.) Elves will also start with like, lvl 6 Focus, which will give them Rock Throwing. Giants would start with lvl 11 Intimidation, which automatically gives them the ability to learn Taun and Wind Guard provided they do the quests, and they'd start with lvl 6 Stealth, which gives them 16% speed. Humans would start with lvl 11 Focus, which automatically unlocks the ability to do the final hit quest chain, and they would start with lvl 6 intimidation

Note that the above only would apply if the player was made before the update, since new players don't exactly need compensation for it. I mean, they'd still get the same effects, but new characters would start at lvl 1 for all the personality traits and work their way up. There could also be other effects like lvl6 Intimidation to offset using Two Handed Swords and Heavy Armor.

The above suggestion is one way of how things could work, but without changing existing players. Humans will still have 100% speed, giants will still have 116%, elves would still have 132%; but there is potential to increase your speed to match theirs. Giants and Humans will still be capable of using a two handed sword or heavy armor, but there is potential to catch up. Etc.

4. For most part, rather than there being 3 races, there will instead be two body types. Humans and Elves will be virtually merged, provided suggestion 1/2 and 3. The united elf-human character creation screen will have both race's -only hairstyles and ears/face options. Along with race restricted hair/eye colors. (Humans can't get bright colored hair atm, elves can't get dark brown or black, elves can't be black atm, etc; this would be fixed in this suggestion.) In addition to that, humans/elves will be given giant-only hairs, this will take some work to make the character models of. And I don't see why beards and mustaches and etc from giant hairs have to be bound to the giant's hair model. They could just make like three model options instead of making four versions of each hair. In a similar idea, they could separate henna from the skin texture, like they do with eyes, and make them dyable by making them grayscale by default, like they do with eyes. Also, make giant-only henna available to humans/elves. Likewise, giants would get Human and Elf -only hair, henna, and elven ear options, this would take some work making models.

5. Giving all skills to everyone. Only thing they need to do for this case is, first of all, give humans Mirage Missile and Final Shot, which should not ba problem since elves and humans use the same animation sets, and do the same with giving elves lances. The only problem would be is making a final hit and bow animations for giants, which shouldn't be too hard.

6. Like in bullet 1/2, they'd bell curve Savage Beast and Falcon to have the exact same features, just different appearances for different races. This is the only racial difference I endorse, in terms of appearance and just appearance of trans, not appearance of anything else. Then, the united elf-giant body type will be able to choose between Paladin, Dark Knight, and Falcon. Likewise, giants would be able to become a paladin or dark knight in addition to their beast form. On top of that, I purpose they give paladins 200 int to one of their skills. If you look at the Transformations Comparisons table on the wiki, you'd understand why they need it that specifically. Dark Knights won't need much rebalancing after the balance update since things like str add defense and all that. All they need imo is a small will boost. There should be a third quest chain to unlock Falcon (for hu/elves) or Beast (for giants). In addition, you should be able to freely change between the three transformations provided you unlocked the transformation, just with some prerequisites, like how you can change back and forth between Neamhain Demigod and Morrighan Demigod. (As a fun thing they can add, they can let Weird Cat in Tir Chonaill be the one to do this type of change, in reference to how he let you skipped generations in the old generation 1-3, but has no use for the new version of them.) In addition to the above, Control of Darkness, Elven Magic Missile, and Giant Full Swing should be available to everyone regardless of which of the three transformations you choose. This would also add two extra skills to dump AP into, since so many players have run out of skills to dump trans exp into and they can only keep like 60 lvls worth unused in reserve.

The above suggestions would be a successful racial merge of all three, while not changing the appearance or removing any abilities to any races. Yes it is a bit complicated, but it's still very simple, and all they'd really have to do is spend some extra time making character models, animations, and crediting AP provide they also do suggestion #2. The only ability changes would be positive changes, so everybody would hopefully be happy. I may edit this list later if I come up with more idea or clarify something.
ok for one u sound very hostile here, i understood what u said, let me rephrase it here: when i said convert all elves and giants to humans, i ment to convert everyone to a universal race, or whatever u want to call it, not necessarily human... and while your idea sounds simple, the technical aspects of implementing this isn't. Anyways, probaly shouldn't take ideas from games that are NOTHING like mabinogi,(speaking of which,i still havent found a game like mabinogi) since they do work in completely different ways. Maplestory also has restricted classes, that have been built into the game since it started, they even state the potential power each class has now so people know before they even make the class, like it was ever ment to be balanced. wow re-reading this it sounds a little mean... ill revise it to sound nicer......o and u cant forget, about the items in game, if everyone was one race they would have to re do a lot of clothing models for giants if dont want to get shafted with clothes, changing it so humans and elves can weild 2 handed swords with a sheild, taking out the entire reforge , charge without sheild, make animations for humans and elves to use stomp, taunt, and windgaurd, would just seem weird as h*ll if they used the current animations,
metricking wrote:its not that i don't agree with you its just i dont think changing the entire game is the right route to go rather than just implementing new stuff,or revamping some skills, to balance out the races.
Kapra

Post by Kapra »

metricking wrote:ok for one u sound very hostile here, i understood what u said, let me rephrase it here: when i said convert all elves and giants to humans, i ment to convert everyone to a universal race, or whatever u want to call it, not necessarily human... and while your idea sounds simple, the technical aspects of implementing this isn't. Anyways, probaly shouldn't take ideas from games that are NOTHING like mabinogi,(speaking of which,i still havent found a game like mabinogi) since they do work in completely different ways. Maplestory also has restricted classes, that have been built into the game since it started, they even state the potential power each class has now so people know before they even make the class, like it was ever ment to be balanced. wow re-reading this it sounds a little mean... ill revise it to sound nicer......o and u cant forget, about the items in game, if everyone was one race they would have to re do a lot of clothing models for giants if dont want to get shafted with clothes, changing it so humans and elves can weild 2 handed swords with a sheild, taking out the entire reforge , charge without sheild, make animations for humans and elves to use stomp, taunt, and windgaurd, would just seem weird as h*ll if they used the current animations,
Okay, not to sound rude, but if you understood what I said, you'd be really off to think this is anything like MapleStory, I took ONE idea from MapleStory, which it's not like Mabi hasn't done from Maple before, and changed it. Reforges and homesteads being the most obvious examples. It's not as hard to implement as it sounds. DevCAT does not have any troubles making animations or character models, they make hundreds each generation update. Sorry, I forgot about shieldless charge and two handers with a shield, but there's no reason that can't also be an ability from the hypothetical intimidation trait I mentioned. Have you even tried playing MapleStory since the update two years ago? Personality traits is very simple, and Mabi KR already does something similar with their referral system but for similar features like running speed, teleportation, and halos. As I said, there would still be two body types, they can choose to take their time to making things uniform. It's really not too complicated of a solution.
Zeo

Post by Zeo »

Mackinz wrote:Well, Oizen, this is in Testing still, so I doubt that they will leave Alchemy's damage problems completely untouched.
I also hope that is the case for Magic's damage problems as well. Seems like DevCat forgot to make it so the formula apply for each charge.

As of right now, the new damage formula for Magic and Alchemy only applies onto one of the charges so it feel like both skillsets are being nerfed. :/
metricking

Post by metricking »

Psy wrote:
metricking wrote:ok for one u sound very hostile here, i understood what u said, let me rephrase it here: when i said convert all elves and giants to humans, i ment to convert everyone to a universal race, or whatever u want to call it, not necessarily human... and while your idea sounds simple, the technical aspects of implementing this isn't. Anyways, probaly shouldn't take ideas from games that are NOTHING like mabinogi,(speaking of which,i still havent found a game like mabinogi) since they do work in completely different ways. Maplestory also has restricted classes, that have been built into the game since it started, they even state the potential power each class has now so people know before they even make the class, like it was ever ment to be balanced. wow re-reading this it sounds a little mean... ill revise it to sound nicer......o and u cant forget, about the items in game, if everyone was one race they would have to re do a lot of clothing models for giants if dont want to get shafted with clothes, changing it so humans and elves can weild 2 handed swords with a sheild, taking out the entire reforge , charge without sheild, make animations for humans and elves to use stomp, taunt, and windgaurd, would just seem weird as h*ll if they used the current animations,
Okay, not to sound rude, but if you understood what I said, you'd be really off to think this is anything like MapleStory, I took ONE idea from MapleStory, which it's not like Mabi hasn't done from Maple before, and changed it. Reforges and homesteads being the most obvious examples. It's not as hard to implement as it sounds. DevCAT does not have any troubles making animations or character models, they make hundreds each generation update. Sorry, I forgot about shieldless charge and two handers with a shield, but there's no reason that can't also be an ability from the hypothetical intimidation trait I mentioned. Have you even tried playing MapleStory since the update two years ago? Personality traits is very simple, and Mabi KR already does something similar with their referral system but for similar features like running speed, teleportation, and halos. As I said, there would still be two body types, they can choose to take their time to making things uniform. It's really not too complicated of a solution.
apparently i read over they two models part, anyways im done commenting on this, why are we arguing over something that will never be implemented?....*insert maturity button here*