Your own version of Mabinogi

Debate the latest buzz in the world of Mabinogi!
ferghus
Site Admin
Site Admin
IGN(s): Yoorah
Server: Ruairi, Mari

Your own version of Mabinogi

Post by ferghus »

Let's say you had a pserver license to host your own Mabinogi server. What changes or customization would you implement to make the game better?

Off the top of my head, I can think of:

Overhaul Life Skills - I like to call them No-life Skills presently. I don't see the fun in doing mindless grind just to check off some stat boosts you gotta get to build your character. I'd go as far as removing the combat stat bonuses, so that only people who actually care about item production would obtain item production skills.

Gachapons for rare events only - Fancy items should be player-produced, to encourage the use of above mentioned production skills.

Remove Reforges - Reforges break what little balance there was in the game. When bought with $, it further adds imbalance to the gameplay as you'd have to balance content for those who pay for reforges and those who don't, at the same time, which is impossible.

Repurpose housing...for housing purposes - Don't use housing for item sales. I'd like it if players were to decorate their homes more SIMS-style, as opposed to the current situation where player homes look more like bandit hideouts, with stolen loot lying all over the floor... Borrowing Shinra's words. >.> Item shops could be enhanced to be a more convenient way to sell stuff, instead.

Didn't borrow Ainna's idea or anythin'.
Armelle

Re: Your own version of Mabinogi

Post by Armelle »

leave it at g3 then abandon it cause i'm absolutely burned out on this game.

can't think of anything i really want from the game anymore outside of the game finally dying.

sometimes i wish they just had a singleplayer spinoff game with expanded g1~3 story and about the same combat but maybe more polished up so i could just revisit that part of the game sometimes and then not have to worry about the mmo part of the game anymore.
i guess they could have like several games for each chapter and you could play as one of the npc's points of view but a bit more freedom.

this is just my mmo burnout talking though.

feels like we already had this thread but if you want a serious answer:
Spoiler: show
remove shadow missions or make them more random
make dungeons give end rewards like SM
add more dungeons
make the old life skills relevant and remove the new crafts entirely
change the combat back
remove gachas
make racials cosmetic or at least stop restricting skills and weapons and keep some stat differences
houses as actual houses
do iria over so it isnt a mob wasteland and more like uladh
remove commerce and work on husky express again instead(or leave it and just revive husky express)
remove avon or repurpose it into something not forgotten
more crafting minigames that are actually fun to do with less training xp required to compensate for it taking longer
make ai instead of have everything be a multi agro goblin
magic knight skills
optimize client
probably more im forgetting right now, and i don't really care if anybody agrees with me or not.
we are all entitled assholes who want the game to be what it isn't anyway.
Ainna

Post by Ainna »

Yoorah wrote:Didn't borrow Ainna's idea or anythin'.
*reads thread title*

... ヽ(*≧ω≦)ノ

I knew this was a good idea!

What I would do (assuming g13 as max content):

Pets: I would remove some pets and make them only obtainable from fieldbosses.

Custom Pets: because..... BECAUSE CUTE... mini golem :D

Making Special Items that are normally only obtainable via gacha / events etc being dropped by bosses. Usually noone really cares about the fieldbosses (except gnu because enchant -_-) so this would get some people back to really exploring the game instead of mindless shadow mission / dungeons.

Fieldboss revamp: More exp and exploration exp, depending on serversize also a time revamp ( shorter intervalls and longer stay times )

Custom Bosses: TBH this is just an excuse for me making an ultra giant golem outside of ciar dungeon killing nubs :<

Removing summon time going down when playing as pet: Sometimes I just like to play as something else :<

Being able to adopt a stray cat/dog in tara. They always make me sad...

Open world dungeon revamp: Making Solea and Anthell more attractive by adding some special mobs and loots.

Bomb Steed / King of the Hill PVP Arena / Event: IT'S FUN.... trust me!

Endless Tower Event Dungeon: Custom dungeon that consists of hundred floors. Each floor only has 3 rooms. Entrance -> Door Room protected by mobs -> Exit to next floor with rewards every 5 floors or something.
Each floor ups the difficulty a bit. Huge reward for clearing all 100 floors. The top 3 parties that got the furthest at the end of the week/month recieve a special reward. (yes kinda like endless tower from ro) <--- this is supposed to be the kinda raid activity for people that are bored / don't wanna grind levels atm

Bag: Maybe remove all the normal bags from shop and add a special one that simply holds a ton. Enough of that clusterfuck.... Maybe a bag that get upgraded each time you buy the bag again or something.... Dont know yet.

So basically I wanna get people outside more exploring / doing stuff with a party which isnt a instanced dungeon / mission.
Not sure what else.

---

Also: Im already building a control panel OLOLOL
Spoiler: show
Kapra

Post by Kapra »

I have thought about this. There are changes I would make to the current game as it's standing, but there is also changes I would only like done if the final product never existed/left test server in the first place. I don't really make post about those kind of changes but I guess they are applicable to private servers.
  • I made a post on mabination about the general community's ideas on what spirit weapons and upgrading should be like. http://mabination.com/threads/53737-New ... ost1262914
  • More importantly, I also made a post for racial consolidation. This one is mostly my ideas. http://mabination.com/threads/53737-New ... ost1263902
  • I wouldn't undo genesis first off.
  • I'd remove some alchemy skills like Water Cannon. I would move all the other alchemy skills I don't remove to other skillsets. Most of them would go to Magic, but some skills like Sand Burst would be made into an archery counterpart. I'd just make Life Drain a transformation, G9 did hype it up that way.
  • I'd completely redo G9's story. . .
  • I don't know what I'd do to puppets, the gameplay was nothing like what I expected, though I didn't really expect much. I just thought puppetry would have something to do with the hand puppets and ragdolls KR Nexon was recently throwing out before the big puppetry update.
  • If we're talking private server, I'd make fashion slots free, and place some talent level requirements on some existing clothing, making them unequippable in normal slots until you're like, lvl13 mage talent for hebona, but can equip at any rank in fashion slots.
  • Combo cards are customizable like they are in SAO event, except the sources of the combo card ingredients come from Theatre Dungeons and there only.
  • Avon would be a second overworld, with Verona and Elsinore being towns within Avon, rather than Avon just being a lobby for a dungeon.
  • I'd probably completely redo Saga 1 and 2, and not include the same heroes we have now. I would include Huw and most importantly Yvona in a quest chain, I liked the design of the female treasure hunter but not his character. I wouldn't include Diva/Aria/Starlet, not sure on Master Chef. I'd keep Merlin and Professor J and have Yvona assume the role of Starlet but not her personality/cliches.
  • I'd keep G19 the way it is.
  • I've been thinking about writing a dungeon revamp post similar to my Spirit Weapons/Upgrading/Races one, haven't gotten to it yet. I wouldn't give Dungeons the same reward system as Shadow Missions/Theatre missions though. I kind of think Shadow Missions should be the go to source for experience, and Theatre Missions should be the go to source for Combo Cards. I don't want to buff the experience rewards of Theatres or Dungeons.
  • G12 also feels like an outlier, compared to G9-11. I felt like it was barely relevant. I would slightly change it but not completely change it like I would for G9 or Sagas.
  • G7 needs to be expanded on and actually given real rewards.
  • Expanding/merging the housing and homestead areas would be nice but way too big of an ordeal and probably not doable even if all resources were devoted to them. I would make sort of Guild areas, towns made up of the homesteads of all the members, and shopping areas mixed in with public lots. Would assign roles like guild architect for city planning, similar to we can currently assign guild generals.
  • I would keep but change how Magic Craft and Engineering works. Same for tailoring.
  • I would make most events, such as the night market event, be permanent content, with their rewards being much better whilst an event is active.
  • Remove summon time entirely.
  • I would like for monsters AI to actually matter and not have their AI be as stupid as they were even back in C1.
I could go on all day.
Ainna

Post by Ainna »

Kapra wrote: [*]I wouldn't undo genesis first off.
Would you mind explaining why not?
Because alot of ppl including myself hate the new combat system.

Imho it made mabinogi less original/special and more to a generic spam button fest.

If I wanna play a MMO with cooldown management and no real strategie involved then I would just play WoW or FFXIV.
But now since they changed the combat system, where do I go? I don't think any other MMO had a combat system just like that.

It just showed that nexon has no balls, they had no clue why the playerbase is so low, so they just made their game more generic.

Thats my side of the story.
Mabinogi wasn't really a generic mainstream game and I think the ppl that played it, played it for that very reason.
Kapra

Post by Kapra »

The old combat system was arguably unique, but that's all it has going for it. It wasn't fun for me. Genesis was the best thing to ever happen to close combat (not so for Archery. . .). I can not stand pre-genesis melee. It's like aim rate in archery, it's a nice idea and its a fun concept but it makes the skillset frustrating, not that I'd remove aim rate. I've had other ideas for replacing aim rate, and not lazy shit like "oh turn it into a damage multiplier".

Pregenesis combat is also not very realistic. I haven't used swords specifically but in real combat you don't spend a majority of your time preparing for an attack, you do spend time planning an attack but not nearly that long. Most of your time is spent reaching your opponent, avoiding any counters they provide, and recovering after.

Not that Mabi's Archery is realistic at all. Even modern day archery and movie-archery isn't at all accurate to medival archery, which was much more effective, fast, mobile, and difficult.
Armelle

Post by Armelle »

I don't really mind if you like the new combat or not, youre allowed to like whatever.
but i have to ask since this has actually ruined several games-
Kapra wrote:Pregenesis combat is also not very realistic. I haven't used swords specifically but in real combat you don't spend a majority of your time preparing for an attack, you do spend time planning an attack but not nearly that long..
Why does gameplay have to follow the constraints of realism? that just seems really boring and doesn't create anything new or interesting to games with heavy combat focus.

I dunno, i guess i just prefer a well crafted combat system over one limiting itself to be more realistic.

and if if you wanted to get really technical they just reversed the combat. instead of loading a skill it just coolsdown for about the same time.
(excluding the post genesis skills which were built around a long cooldown)
Soluna

Post by Soluna »

Mmm... yea, I think for my version...

I will continue pump out gacha only new outfits and wigs and time limited outfit set like usual for money.

I will added pet customizable equipments and slots that can customize your pet not just with color and increase the pets you can have when you reach the limit through purchase of pon.

I will adjust the skills again then add more skills that give stat bonus with high usage training requirements for player to waste time on or spend money on x2 exp training.

I will make fine reforge available in hard mode dungeons, credine reforge kit available by trading with APs and I will added class specific reforge kits where you will only get specific class related skill when using the reforge kit for money.

I will make special upgrade +1 to +5 100 percent success and I will increase the special upgrade system to +20, +6 to +10 50 percent, +10 to 19 30 percent, +20 10 percent and add special upgrade fail prevention cash shop item for money.

I will add new Spirit Weapon level uncap quest. I will add Spirit level increase cash shop item that double or triple the amount of fodder exp for a period of time for money.

I will seek more collaboration projects with special event quests and limited time equipment and outfit that can be only be purchase in cash shop to substitute for storyline contents.

Then after I earned enough I will closed down Mabinogi and use it to fund another game then called it Mabinogi Next'on.
Ainna

Post by Ainna »

Soluna [Bot] wrote: holy moly
You are a not so secret agent from nexon, admit it!

I wonder when they are gonna release the mabinogi cashgrab expansion.
shmyaww

Post by shmyaww »

revamp pvp! arenas especially
the Coins that you buy at arena need to be expensive, something like 10k each. the main idea is you need gold to compete (to prevent farming) but you should be gaining Coins from fighting, not buying them. then the arena needs relevant prizes for the coins, like pets, weapons, armor, etc.
pvp is dead because it is too linear and there will always be one skillset that wrecks the others, but you could balance it! for example, you could implement a debuff when you enter the arena, based on the pvp metagame. if people are abusing CC icebolt wands, make a debuff that lowers INT or mana. if people are dying too fast, add an hp buff to anyone in the arena. stuff like that.
you can probably make potions balanced in arena too by lowering their effectiveness.